DVR State of the Union - July 2016

Hey everyone!

We wanted to catch you all up on the state of DVR, where we are now, and what you should expect the roll out to look like. We appreciate all of your help and how much you love Channels. We plan on staying as open and transparent as we have always been.

Now that Channels for iOS has been released, we are back to working on DVR. Why did we pause DVR work to create Channels for iOS? We wanted Channels to be on iOS before DVR shipped. It was always our plan that Channels would be multi-platform so that you had freedom in how or where you watched your TV and recordings. We wanted Channels for iOS to already be in everyone’s hands by the time DVR shipped. Mostly, once DVR starts rolling, we were afraid there wouldn’t be much time to go back and get Channels on iOS made.

So, on to DVR!

Catch Up

In our last DVR SOTU, we talked about everything that had been completed, what features DVR had, and what was supported in the client. Since then we’ve developed and shipped Channels for iOS, recorded thousands of hours of TV, oh and I had a :baby:.

State of the Union

So, how far along is DVR now? Well, basically, everything we mentioned then is the same now. lol. It’s become a bit more refined, but everything that was covered in the last SOTU pretty much covers it.

The difference is, @tmm1 and I have been using it all this time. And it works pretty well. There’s a ton of rough edges of course, but we’re ready to finally make it available on an extremely limited basis. So that’s really what we want to talk about, what our plans for shipping Channels DVR is going to look like.

Roll Out Master Plan

• Alpha - In the next few weeks
  • Beta - This Fall
  • Release - Jan 2017

We plan to do a very limited Alpha that will last until Fall. In the Fall, we’re going to launch DVR as a generally available paid service, but in Beta. In the Winter, we’ll take the Beta tag off of it and shout it from the roof tops!

The Alpha will be US only and the Beta will be US & Canada only. If you are waiting on Channels DVR and you are not in the US or Canada, you should probably look for other solutions right now. Besides technical and licensing hurdles, it’s important for us to keep scopes narrowed while we develop Channels DVR.

Alpha

• Extremely limited - 5-15 users
  • Available in next couple of weeks
  • Free
  • macOS & Linux only
  • US only

Our Alpha is going to be extremely limited. Extremely. We’re talking about 5-15 users. It’s going to be invite only based on our previous Beta users.

Goals

The Alpha experience will be rough around the edges. We want the Alpha to help clean up those edges. We want to get all the functionality like signing up, authorizing accounts, and setting up your devices to be really solid so that the Beta can go well.

In addition, we hope to find and resolve as many of the important recording and guide data bugs that we can. If we can catch these in the Alpha, then Beta users can feel good about the core of DVR as something they can rely on.

The Alpha will not be fun, it will be boring, lol. But it’s probably the most important part of this whole process. It hopes to find and resolve all the most important bugs so that by the time we hit Beta, everything is smooooooth for everyone.

Expectations

Plain and simple, if you’re using the Alpha, you shouldn’t be relying on this for your recorded programs. That’s not to say it’s not reliable, but things may change with the system and you may be asked to wipe your entire library of recordings.

You may have to set the entire thing up from scratch multiple times. Or, you might not have to ¯\(°_o)/¯, lol. The thing is, you should be prepared for that kind of thing to happen. This is the stage in development that we have to work things like that out.

So just keep that in mind if you’re in the Alpha. Just know that we might destroy your recordings and we’re not going to feel that terrible about it. Well, maybe a little, but we’re still going to do it if we have to :slight_smile:

Beta

• Generally available to anyone
  • Available in Fall
  • Paid
  • macOS & Linux only at first*
  • US & Canada

Our Beta will be generally available to anyone that wants to start using Channels DVR. It will cost the same as what it will cost when we’re ready to release it to the masses.

The Beta will be stable, it just won’t have the polish that our products are used to having by the time they are released. We’re doing this for a couple of reasons:

1. We want to make Channels DVR available to you as soon as possible.
  2. We want to be able to do a slow roll out, we’re only 2 developers.
  3. We want to mature everything with the help of your feedback.

Keeping things private until we’re ready to ship means we’ll all end up with a DVR product that works great for 2 people. We want to make the DVR system everyone has wanted for years.

Goals

The Beta will have mostly all the functionality that Channels DVR will have when it’s officially released. It’s the UI, experience, and general buggy-ness that will be undergoing iterations.

As we scale up with more users with different lineups and viewing habits, we hope everyone runs into the bugs we can resolve during the Beta so everything is worked out by the time we release Channels DVR in the Winter.

* We plan on shipping for macOS and Linux at first. As the Beta rolls on, we’ll be releasing it for more and more platforms. That includes NAS systems as well. Once your platform is available, feel free to jump onto the Beta and provide feedback.

Expectations

If you’re using the Beta of Channels DVR, you should expect it to perform well and be a stable DVR system. But you should keep in mind that the experience of it, the UI, and how it works will not be final. It may be rough or ugly. With iterations, it will all get better and better and better.

There will be bugs. That’s why it will still be a Beta. But we invite you, and all of your different viewing habits and DVR expectations, to help us get Channels DVR working as well as possible.

The Beta will not be the final product that we’re used to delivering. Experiments will be made. Things will be added. Things will be removed. But overall, you should feel safe that your recordings will all happen and be able to be watched.

Release

• Generally available
  • January 2017
  • Paid
  • macOS, Linux, select NAS devices
  • Most likely US & Canada only

Sometime in January 2017 we’ll ship Channels DVR as a released product. It will have all the refinements that we expect of one of our shipped products.

By the time we release, we’re probably still going to be US & Canada only. We hope that changes, but we just want to set good expectations right now. If this changes, you can be sure you’ll hear about it as soon as we have something to announce.

Wrap Up

Ok, so that’s our plan to roll out DVR. We hope this sets expectations clearly (if you read all of that!) and you are as excited as we are for the next few months.

Please don’t request to be added to the Alpha or the Beta. Alpha invites will go out when they are ready. And when the Beta is ready, we’ll announce everything you need to know.

@tmm1 and I have been using it for months and it works great. Now let’s go the extra mile and make this thing awesome so we can all use it!

Thanks!!

4 Likes

Thanks Jon. This is really exciting news to see this moving forward and having experienced the quality of product you guys have been producing, I can’t wait… Here’s hoping for a fast and smooth journey!

If you are picking the alpha members yourself, I would highlight that so that this thread isn’t full of hundreds of people looking to get in.

(I’d love to get in ;))

So this will end up only being a product for North America and the rest of the world including the UK get nothing. #annoyed #feelletdown #wastedmytimeandeffortonaproductiwillnevergettouse

Appreciate the communication including a high level plan and timetable. Please consider me as as potential Alpha candidate. I didn’t take part in the original Silicondust DVR beta as I started my cord cutting journey right about the time you pulled the plug on that project. However, I have enjoyed the Channels ATV and iOS apps since early on and appreciate what you have accomplished to this point.

I use Fedora for my main system so I can help with testing on the Linux side. I’d just have to add some disk space for recording.

Such promise, but outside USA so SiligonDust DVR for me…sad to leave

1 Like

Since initially you will only support MacOS and Linux, will you support remote storage like mapped drives?

I first heard about Channels 7-8months ago and heard about the DVR beta you had with SD. I was encouraged to join the old beta and I spent hundreds of ££££ on a NAS, SD DVR software and then the Channels app for TVOS. This was all under the understanding the Beta would result in a full DVR for ATV. Then just after a few months you pulled that DVR and said you were building your own. Ok then I said, sounds fair.
Then I’ve followed this forum carefully. Given useful info where I could to others and have even been reassured by you guys that the DVR will be soon, all in the knowledge that I’m in the UK.
Now at the very last minute you do this. Can I please ask why and get a decent and thorough explanation? I can’t understand why this would be limited to North America only upon final release.
I take it you won’t be pulling the original Channels app from all other countries, so why fail to support us when we have worked hard to support you?

1 Like

Looks like I will be looking elsewhere. :disappointed:

Please remember that all the uk members here have full DVB data (which isn’t great but ok) and totally unencrypted channels.

Off to look at options again :sleepy:

2 Likes

I would like to be considered for the Alpha testing.

It breaks our heart to exclude anyone from DVR based on locale reasons. I know that it’s a let down and you can be assured it’s the last thing we want to do to you guys. But it’s just how it has to be right now.

The most important part of this process is getting the core DVR working well. And that’s what we’ll be working on through the next few months.

Dealing with variable guide data, or working on EIT parsing for DVR is only going to push out release dates. It’s just not the appropriate thing to work on during this phase. We have to get a solid core base working. The best way to do that is with consistent reliable guide data. Once that’s working well, we can start working on scaling out the locales the DVR will work in and the variable guide data those locales will use.

We’ve been transparent about everything in the past. So far, everything we’ve talked about regarding DVR has just been talk. Nothing has ever actually been shipped. We’ve talked openly about this because we have always wanted to include the actual people that use the software.

We’ve done our best throughout development of Channels to be transparent and set expectations. That’s one of the reasons we created this community site for everyone. That’s exactly what this post was written to do. Set expectations. One expectation we wanted to set was the locales that Channels DVR would be available for during the next few months. We’re being super conservative just to make sure no one is disappointed months from now when an actual release takes place. And remember, if Channels DVR releases for US & Canada only, that doesn’t mean that’s how it will always be.

We are just two developers. Writing a DVR from the ground up is a lot of work and takes a lot of time. But it’s something we want to build. We refuse to make promises we can’t keep or keep everyone in the dark. We are doing our best to do this in the open and include everyone. We are confident that once the base of the DVR system is in place, we’ll be able to do really cool things with it.

You guys have been extremely transparent, and those of us that were in the prior Beta knew can attest to that. Far more so that almost any other developers and pre-release programs I have seen. You guys have a great vision, and lots of people that want in on it. Take that for a complement…

You would say that TheFamilySpot, but then again you’re in North America and brown nosing for a Beta invite.
We were warned the Alpha and probably the beta would be limited to North America, but we were assured it was just for this stage before general release and I even remember one of you talking about international guide data and searching for a source.
Sorry but looks like the rest of us have no option but to pull all support and look else where for a permanent solution! Massive kick in the teeth considering all the support and feedback we’ve offered.
C ya

I don’t read anything in there saying that you’ll (non-US and Canada) never get it. What they’re saying is they’re going to focus on one locale until it’s stable and released (Jan 2017) and that will most likely just be US and Canada. They never said after that they’re not going to work on adding other locales. Yes, this pushes when you’ll get it out farther, but they have to get the base of the system working, then add locales from there, so they have to start with one locale and then grow it after they get a stable release.

Why not in countrys with open dvb channels and free guide info with the cable likte UK of here in the netherlands (ziggo is almost only dvb player here)

Very Nice of you to exclude a part of your users, when they pay you for the app!!

tablo looking better and better

1 Like

Wasn’t expecting Canada to actually be included in the beta, cheers for that!

Can you elaborate just a teeny tiny bit on the Linux version? Will that be a Docker image?

Would be extremely appreciative if I could get in the alpha. I’m a smartos user which means Linux applications run in lx branded zones. Unfortunately that also means the software may require something in the OS that’s not implemented yet. I’d like to start testing for issues on both client side but especially server side to make sure it’s smooth when it’s finally be able to launch.

tl;dr I use smartos and want to make sure the DVR software runs in an lx zone smoothly. The sooner I can get bugs into our bug tracker the better!

I Must be honest, I feel rather let down that the UK is being left out, I have been very vocal telling people to get behind Channels. I guess its time to back another horse :disappointed:

1 Like

Me too.

I’m hopeful that we will get the DVR in the UK but in the meantime I’m using DVBLink, which seems to do everything, and well. However, it’s not as pretty as Channels. As soon Channels DVR launches in the UK, I’ll be back!

1 Like