DVR State of the Union - September 2016

I’m happy to see the good reviews for the live tv app. I can’t wait for the dvr app to come out.

I just got a ATV4 to play with but I haven’t tried the app yet. I dvr almost all I watch and prefer to watch the in-progress recording if I watch real time.

one thing that I have to say about the ATV4, it reminded me of why I tend to avoid Apple products. everything works fine as long as you do things the Apple way. coming from MS and Android devices, the Apple handcuffs drive me crazy.

Can you give an example of “handcuffs”?

I got a 4th Gen iPod Touch as a gift when it came out. at the time I had a Palm Zire so getting music, videos, pictures and data files on and off the device was easy as switching out an SD card. I was shocked to see that when I hooked up the Touch to my computer the only files that I had direct access to were the pictures and videos taken by the Touch. everything else had to be done through iTunes. for me it is just added work to have to go to the computer that has my iTunes files, move things into or out of synced folders, check or uncheck items then resync the device.

with the ATV4 I find it annoying that I can’t access my NAS unless I add third party apps like Plex. I haven’t tried that yet because I find that the NAS that I have is not supported by Plex. I can’t blame that on Apple but I do fault Apple for not providing what I see as a basic function built into the ATV4.

Like Apple, I do not consider access to a NAS a basic function. But that is why there is an App Store. There are many Apps that allow access to a NAS (and other computer file sharing) that do not require a Server like Plex to be running. You might want to take a look at InFuse Pro. Many people seem to like it and the cost is like $10. For me the Channels is by far the most important and used App in my house which was developed by a third party. This is the same for iOS where you have many many developers taking a powerful platform to create Apps Apple probably does not even think about.

I also recommend InFuse Pro for NAS access. InFuse Pro was one of the first apps I purchased for the AppleTV4. I does a great job with just about any video format including HVEC. Before that I used to convert everything to Apple native formats.

Today Channels and InFuse Pro are the two most used Apps on our ATVs.

Infuse on the ATV4 works fine. May not be as great at pulling in the metadata like Plex (some manual adding maybe required depending on how you’ve names certain media files) but on the whole it’s great for the price. They seem to lack one or two codecs as I’ve found maybe 1 in 10 of my files may not play smoothly. However they seem to be older movies so not an issue with the latest most commonly used. Big thumbs up to Infuse.

Oh and it’s nearly November, no October SOTU? This is edge of the seat stuff, we need a monthly fix :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I can’t believe that there are only 46 days till Winter! Fall is certainly speeding by… *

1 Like

I have a feeling we won’t see the beta this year.

I guess they discovered doing recording is not simple or as easy as they thought… if i see nothing by thanksgiving i am giving up and going TiVo.

Yeah. Was hoping this would come out pretty soon in beta form but so far nothing…

1 Like

See my opinion on Channels Beta DVR: Above the ATV Deal at Target

Channels DVR vs SiliconDust DVR thread…

I know I’m going to fall asleep before 3:30 on the 24th. I’ll probably miss the Cowboys :frowning:

Gosh, if there were a way that I could watch that when I awake from my turkey nap…

2 Likes

Winter is coming in a month… just saying… :wink:

1 Like

Would it be possible to get a December edition of the “DVR State of the Union?”

7 Likes

Winter begins: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 5:44 am EST

10 days away, I’m so excited, I’m shaking. If I spend 5 minutes a day checking for the last 90 days, that’s almost a full days work lost. I’m glad I’m not paying me, I should be fired.

2 Likes

Check out the December DVR State of the Union!

Channels DVR is now available in a Public Beta. You can learn more about it on the announcement thread