DVR State of the Union - September 2016

Hey everyone! We just wanted to provide another update on everyone’s favorite vaporware, Channels DVR!

Turns out, it’s not vaporware at all! Not only is development full speed ahead and has a ton of progress been made, we’ve rolled out the very private Alpha to great success.

So, what’s happening?

Catch Up

In our last DVR SOTU, we tried to set expectations on the schedule of the roll out of Channels DVR, the locales Channels DVR would be available, and the platforms it would be support.

This time, let’s talk about progress.

State of the Union

So, how far along is DVR now? Very far!!

Since the last SOTU, a ton of progress has been made on the backend. A lot of tightening and refactoring has been achieved with the help of our Alpha testers. A lot of bugs have been found that have not just been fixed, but have made the backend even more resilient. Our master plan, muhahaha!

Server

The server has a full web frontend now! So what does it let you do? Well, pretty much everything.

Web Feature Overview

• Create custom rules
  • Browse On Now
  • Browse the guide
  • Watch live TV streams right in your browser
  • Search for programs
  • Create recordings from search results
  • Create season passes from search results
  • Show recommended programs and movies
  • Browse your recordings
  • Manage your season passes and recordings
  • Watch your recordings right in your browser

The whole site is responsive and mobile optimized. You can load it on your desktop to do some serious managing, or you can hit it on your phone while in your favorite comfy chair to do some quick managing, or… while you’re away from home to do some quick important managing.

It’s all still a bit rough, but the functionality is there. It just needs a nice coat of paint and a little bit of organizing to feel real nice. It’s been a ton of work, but it’s turning out really nice. And the best part is, since whipping out web UI is so much faster than doing it in iOS or tvOS, it’s really sped up the development of the backend. We call that a double win.

So what about the clients?

Native Clients

Channels for Apple TV had its recordings tab totally redesigned from scratch. There’s also a new top level view for shows that lets you browse their recordings. It’s way more simple, pleasing, and is great overall. It too needs some more passes to get great, but it’s going well. Channels for Apple TV also had its search results cleaned up. Results for programs now show if they are currently recording or are queued to be recorded.

Channels for iOS has started to get some of the recording browsing features but it’s still early days on that for now. It’s definitely a little trickier because we want to make sure the iPad views are not just the same iPhone views stretched out (eww).

Client feature overview:

Here’s a quick overview of the functionality currently available in each native client.

Apple TV
  • Browse recordings
  • Play recordings
  • Search for programs
  • Set individual program to record
  • Create a season pass for a program
  • Set currently playing show to record
iOS
  • Browse recordings
  • Play recordings

Wrap Up

So that’s where everything stands right now. We’re still on track to launch a beta in the Fall. As was mentioned before, please don’t ask to be included in the Beta. We’ll announce how to be a part of it when it’s ready. You’ll know everything you need to know then.

We’re still super excited about Channels DVR and our Alpha testers have been as well. We know that there are a lot of options for you for a DVR system, but we think we’re going to be able to bring a lot of cool features for you as time goes on.

Thanks!!

12 Likes

Can’t wait! The backend is still only for macOs right?

I’m really hoping to participate in the Beta test. Is there a formal application process?

From the original SOTU. No need to ask about joining the Beta. Looks pretty open since it is NOT FREE.

##Beta

• Generally available to anyone
  • Available in Fall
  • Paid
  • macOS & Linux only at first*
  • US & Canada

Our Beta will be generally available to anyone that wants to start using Channels DVR. It will cost the same as what it will cost when we’re ready to release it to the masses.

Please can I be in beta

(just joking, it all sounds great!)

is NAS in the plan? If so, what is an ETA?

A previous SOTU says that select NAS devices are a goal for the General Release in Jan 2017

I know “Fall” is a big time window, but it begins in just about 1 week. Any idea if we are likely to see the beta “Early, Early” fall, Early-fall, Mid-Fall, Late-Fall???

Fall. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Your just Evil… :smiling_imp:. Thanks. Eagerly Awaiting…

2 Likes

Patiently awaiting a Windows/Australia version for Channels DVR.

Fall is just two days away!!!

1 Like

Happy Fall!

Now we can start saying “any day now!”
And we can stop saying that by Dec 20th.

:slight_smile:

This might disappoint you but according to the previous SotU, when the DVR back-end launches, it will support MacOS and Linux.

There is always Parallels for what I’m looking to do. I want to use MCE Buddy to strip commercials and convert to mp4 but it only works on a pc.

Hi everyone. Sorry I’m so late to the game. I discovered the Channels app months and months ago, but balked at the price and lack of DVR. I didn’t see how it could compare with my Tablo (which is much more expensive, but has DVR, so I justified it). Well, my Tablo box broke last week and I happened to come across an old HD HomeRun that I bought years ago which got lost in a box in the basement. With a serious lack of TV options (I’m OTA only), I decided to go ahead and give Channels a try. WOW! Even without DVR functionality, it’s freakin’ amazing! Great Job, guys! And to find out that DVR is right around the corner! Comparatively, I’m now looking at Channels as being not only the best designed and functioning OTA solution, but also the cheapest! I’m so freakin’ excited about Channels DVR now. I want in on the Beta ASAP! My Tablo box has since been replaced under warranty (so, good for them), but I’m now painfully aware of how poor the interface is! I didn’t realize it until I used Channels! I’m stuck with it until Channels DVR rolls out. But when it does… sorry Tablo, there’s a new OTA leader in town!

4 Likes

Ok, it’s been fall for ALMOST a month… Any Updates, (DVR Beta Date), What’s coming next month (DVR Beta Date), How about a SOU for October (and the DVR Beta Date), any news on when we will be able to some DVR Beta Screen shots (DVR Beta Date), Thought about including the ability to do compression after recordings? (DVR Beta Date) Is the subliminal messaging working???

3 Likes

An update would certainly make us all pretty giddy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

honestly, i just got to say - the new update is amazing. thanks for all your hard work, if the DVR is of the same quality I will be overjoyed.

1 Like