DVR Storage

Hey all, I just upgraded from a 2TB HDD to a Samsung T7 2TB SSD. I'm hoping this will work a lot better than the HDD. I reformated the drive to APFS format since it will only be working with my Mac Mini M1.

This might seem like a silly question but when I plug it into the Mac Mini should I use the USB3 or USB-C port? The SSD came with cables for both so I thought I'd ask if one is preferred for speed over the other?

Also, will I see any noticeable differences when watching or recording channels? I know the SSD is supposed to be faster, use less energy, and should have a longer life span than an HDD since there isn't any moving parts. I'm just wondering if I see any difference?

1 Like

Not sure on the port. My first thought it that it won’t matter, they will both support USB 3 Speeds. As far as increased performance, it may be a bit faster but I wouldn’t expect a major difference.

Saw this in the amazon description:

Having recently migrated from a Samsung SSD to a WD Black, I was surprised how much I didn't notice the difference.

2 Likes

I figure I’m good with the cable since it’s the one that came with the SSD. I just thought I’d switch to a SSD since I’ve read posts on here of people saying SSDs are the best way to go. I especially like that it’s more energy efficient and faster in general.

1 Like

Drive speed for a DVR to store and record shows is not really important ... Heck I can write (Copy) 500 GB of recordings in an hour or 2 on a 5400 RPM HDD ... So writing say 8 recordings at 8 GB each over a 1 hour period is insignificant.

1 Like

I would guess that you aren't going to see much of a difference, but would like to hear what your experience is.

1 Like

Platter drives are so a thing of the past...lol.
I just don't see dealing with them in todays modern age.
SSD are super cheap.

Read/write speed isn't just the only main benefit of ssd's, no worry of having to de-fragment the drive is a big one. A fragmented HDD read/write speeds are super trash.

1 Like

I fully understand that but for DVR Storage I rather go for Size of Storage Drive than Speed etc. as speed makes no difference.

8TB ssd over $1000 dollars ... 8 TB HD [$144.99 ]

1 Like

Um not quite... a 8TB Samsung 870 Qvo is $799 at MicroCenter.
(and u can find off brands for around $599)

Give it time.

I recall when a 256GB SSD was over $1,000, only 5yrs or so years ago when i last worked in a computer retail store.

Also, SSDs last far longer than HDD's, you won't find a HDD with a 10yr warranty.
(The Samsung Pro models I have, came with 10yr warranty out of the box.)
I prefer the better long term investment, even if it cost more $ up front.
I have had too many HDD's fail over the years.
The only HDD's i still use are only Enterprise line drives, not conusmer.

@speedingcheetah

I always respect your input going to have to look at the Samsung ... As I found them reliable... But for DVR Storage I go for Size and Cheap still ...

I've only been using my SSD for a day now and it does seem like my recordings load a bit quicker and things seem smoother. But, there could be a lot of things effecting that. Time will tell I guess.

And when it comes to price I guess it depends on what you're perspective is. I bought this Samsung T7 2TB for $319. My HDD I was previously using cost under $100. This was a big financial leap. But, I decided to make the long term investment because all the reviews I read said the T7 was reliable, fast, energy saver (vs HDD), and would run forever.

2 Likes

You can use black magic to do a speed test with each cable to find out the best speed.

1 Like

I have 32TB of DVR storage. I'm not going to spend SSD money on that. That would be $3,200 with the Samsungs you mentioned.

I don't get how its any different "dealing with them". You plug it in. It works. If it ever fails... well its a DVR so life goes on. I don't think I've defragged a drive in at least 15 years and with the large file sizes of recordings and the low read/write speed need, I don't really think that will ever be a problem.

Everyone's needs are different though, so totally get why if you have smaller DVR storage then just throwing an SSD at it might make sense.

2 Likes

I also have a NAS with 16TB of storage and an Enclosure with 5 4 TB drives in Parity (Windows Storage Spaces) Also with 16TB of storage. I looked at that Samsung and all I did was look at it. I said to myself why do I need it for DVR storage ? I said NAH don't.

2 Likes

Hi, the free Blackmagic Disk Speed Test app works well (marlin1111). I tried it on my iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019) with a Samsung PSSD T7 Media 1TB drive with both interfaces, and didn't see much difference. As a guide the USB-C port gives a Write speed of ~120 MB/s and a Read speed of ~750 MB/s which is good for recording/watching up to 4 channels from 2 HDHomeRun CONNECT DUOs (connected with a cheap 5-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch).

I recently installed a Western Digital Red NAS Drive into my Windows 10 computer to use for my DVR storage. Previously I was using a USB connected drive. I wasn't having any issues with speed on my USB drive, but I will say the WD feels faster, especially when skipping around a program.

@bellbm That's how my Mac Mini feels ever since I switched to an SSD.

When you use an SSD for applications with high write intensity like DVR/NVR, it won't last long once you fill it up. NAND devices have limited write cycles, which gets worse with higher density devices like TLC or QLC, despite the aid of wear leveling techniques. There's a reason consumer drives like the T7 don't advertise specs. for lifetime writes, just recommended uses (which doesn't include continuous video recording).

Without giving it much thought I once deployed a 1TB NVMe SSD for testing a security camera NVR. I was shocked by the SMART stats degradation (almost end of life) after only a few months use.

1 Like

Speak for your self. SSDs can last longer then hdds.
Older ssds, the early days, yes, they burned out fast with such heavy read/write ops.
Modern ones do not.

I have personal proof.
A Samsung 840 evo ssd been in service in a CCTV system for 6years.
I use 2x Samsung Micro sd cards (flash memory) in my cars dash cam system, for at least 5years now.
A Samsung 850 evo in a Intel NUC with a 10Gig NIC that is my file sever and sees heavy read/write of for the last 5years or so.
A Samsung 1TB ssd in my Unifi Cloud Key recording my 4 cams, for 2years.

A few more ssds or flash memory in places not ideal for them, not have had a single one fail or even show SMART issues of many years later.

I can't speak for other brands, but never had a Samsung fail in such heavy use cases.

1 Like

Channels isn't using the HDD/SSD the same way a camera (or constant buffering DVRs like Tivos) are. Only disk writes are actual recordings. This use is much less stressful on the disk.

1 Like