DVRDrive

I have a question regarding the DVR aspect of Channels. I do not want to use my Mac to record my shows as I do not want to keep it running 24/7 as I live in a hot tropical climate.

Is it possible to just use an external hard drive to record my shows, and if do, where would I connect it in order for Channels to detect it? Would I hook it up to my Apple TV, regular TV, or to my router?

Can I use any external hard drive that can buy on the market?

You're going to need some computing device to run the Channels DVR. A hard drive alone won't be enough. Some options are a Mac, PC, Rasberry PI, Nvidia Shield, or Synology. The DVR is different than the Channels client app used on devices to watch your content that comes from the Channels DVR.

(The above answer doesn't address the version of the client app that I think talks directly to an HDHomerun tuner. I have no experience with that, but I don't think that can save directly to a hard drive, either. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

2 Likes

The closest to that description would be a “NAS” (Network Attached Storage) device. It would connect to your router.

Here are all the devices that can run Channels DVR:

Okay, I’m still a little confused. If I plug an external drive to my router, will that suffice in order for it to be a network drive? If so, how will the “Channels” app recognize it? Someone else in this feed stated that an external drive alone will not work and that some kind of computer is needed. What software do I need to make the“Channels” app “see/recognize “ my drive? Thanks for your help. Tom

Channels DVR Server is a completely separate piece of software. It powers the Channels app.

Channels can't possibly do the things it does directly on streaming boxes due to the limitations of these devices and how the apps run. Channels DVR Server runs on your computer or NAS device to do all the heavy lifting. The Channels app just connects to it and lets you experience everything.

Think of Channels like your email app and Channels DVR Server like Gmail's servers.

You can't just plug a hard drive into your router, because Channels DVR Server can't run on your router. You'll need to read through the different platforms that Channels DVR Server can run on and figure out what is best for you.

1 Like

And install notes for the Channels DVR server software is linked to all of the supported devices, including NAS devices, on the page I linked above. For example, here’s installation instructions for the Synology NAS:

Thank you. Can you direct me to the platform that explains all of the setup in greater detail? Thank you.

Our website explains everything.

1 Like

Yeah...Channels isn't like a HDHomerun where you could just plug a hard drive and pay a small fee and you're in. You need a computer or a NAS to run it.

Thank you!!!

A Beelink like this would be a great server if you don’t want to run your mac 24/7. It runs cool and quiet and very low energy use.

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-Computer-Support-Display-Ethernet/dp/B0BVFVRDXN/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=beelink&qid=1695960039&refinements=p_36%3A-18000&rnid=2421879011&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

1 Like

Thank you. Unfortunately the item does not ship to Japan (my location) but at least I have an idea of what I need. So basically an external hard drive that is WiFi-capable. Is that about right? Or…does it have to be a self-sustained computer?

Could you tell me if this product would work? I will paste here what I found on Amazon and this product ships to Japan. If you have a minute, could you please look it up? I am so clueless on all of this. Here is the information:

WD 4TB My Passport Wireless Pro Portable External Hard Drive, Wifi USB 3.0 - WDBSMT0040BBK-NESN

Thank you.

1 Like

No, that won’t work. If it’s not a self-contained computer, or a NAS, you won’t be able to run Channels DVR on it. The list of compatible devices is documented:

Okay. I see. I’ll keep checking. Thank you so much.

It would seem to me this one would work:

Beelink Mini S12 Mini PC, 12th Intel Alder Lake- N95 (4C/4T, up to 3.4GHz), 8GB DDR4 256GB PCIEx1 SSD, Mini Desktop Computer Support 4K@60Hz Dual Display/BT 4.2/WiFi 5/USB 3.2/Gigabit Ethernet

What do you think? Only thing I'm trying to figure out what the storage size is.

Is there any way to use my Mac computer but to have the videos stored on an external drive connected to my computer while the computer is running?

Yes

I know what my IP address is but Channels app can not find it even though my computer is on and connected to my router and is connected to the same router as my Apple TV which is where I have the Channels app installed. Nothing working.

What did you install the Channels DVR Server on?
Did you pay for a subscription and log in on the DVR Server?
Use the IP address of that DVR Server device when telling the client app what IP address your DVR Server is on.