Dynamic insertion of non-live content into the guide

I think most of us are annoyed by traditional cable providers insertion of ads into the live tv guide. They normally try to direct us to the latest movie release that is available on demand or show upcoming on demand fights.

In the same spirit, this could be a fun optional setting to allow for dynamic insertion of non-live content into the TV guide or specific channel collections.

You could select the frequency of the inserts very 5,10 or 15 lines and select the links you would want inserted. Linked content could be Continue watching, Movie collections, playlists or even recording suggestions from the on later section.

I know many are guide purist and don't want it to be a conglomeration, but in my household we rarely switch from the guide so having things on that single page would be welcomed.

Would virtual channels accomplish some of your goal?

i think hes looking for more of a billboard highlight within the guide.

like this

Yep, thanks for the photo example. This is what I’m talking about.

I’m a big user of virtual channels already and love them. I’d just love a way to incorporate more into the guide portion of the channels app.

1 Like

Hmmmm. . . I am not v
Sure if I would v use a feature like that. But it could be interesting. Might be a use cade I never thought of. Ill give +1 vote.

Wouldn't that work if you created a Tastemade Virtual Channel number 708.5?
It should then appear between channels 708 and 709.

I was thinking of creating a VC using Video imports of Curiosity Moment clips.

I believe he was just providing an example image of what an inserted line might look like. Again I don’t want a static program or content added like a new channel. I am interested in a dynamic slot that offers, new recordings, suggest new shows to record or even suggest to pick up with a playlist in progress.

Cable companies use these slots for ad revenue or to promote PPV, I’d like to use the concept to provide more tie ins with the library and its features.

A Fancy Bits Channels DVR dynamic information channel :tm: :smile:

2 Likes

Haha! call it what you will. In my mind you could set the slot to repeat in the guide and show different suggestions each time. Ex every 5, 7 or 10 channel lines.

1 Like

Kind of like a quick links banner w/ recent recordings and random suggestions? That would be convenient. You could customize what things it will show you on a per client basis.

It should be a banner that sticks at the bottom of the guide. Not actually inserted in the guide.

I like the idea! I think the issue with it being at the bottom of the guide, would be navigating to it using a remote. If it were place at pre-determined regular intervals into the guide, then the navigation behavior doesn't change that much.

Also the more customization to the feature the better. I think adding it to the client strings via the webUI would make the most sense, then you could have some clients with the feature completely off.

1 Like