Echo Show 8

For anyone interested, I am able to use the channels dvr admin page on firefox to watch all of my channels on our new Echo Show 8. I haven't tried a recording yet but I was successful at getting it working that way.

Even though there isn't native support it seemed to work pretty good.

1 Like

what did you type in the address line of firefox?

my.channelsdvr.net

If you are into VR. You can do the same thing on Oculus go with their native browser. Not really VR but it’s like watching on the big screen.

I have the Show 5. It works - but keeps freezing. any setting alterations to consider? Just curious.

I didn't have to change any settings on the 8. You could always mess with your internet streaming settings.

I have played with this a while back but the wife did not want to use it. We use the Hulu Live "voice controlled" interface which is very nice. I would love for Channels to add a native client to the Echo devices with voice commands but understand they have other priorities.

I also tried with the Echo 5 and it stutters very bad. tried different settings with no luck.

My thinking is that it's (ES5) simply not powerful enough for something like Channels, but figured I'd ask in here to see if anyone else has any luck.

1 Like

Very possible. Does it have 5Ghz WiFi? If not, WiFi speed could be an issue.

I have the Echo Show 10.1" Version and it is connected via 5Ghz WiFi. It works extremely well when streaming Hulu Live using voice commands. Hulu Live has a native "SKILL". I do not understand why streaming from Channels DVR using MPEG4 would be an issue. Would love to see a Channels "SKILL". There are a lot these devices to market too. We use them mainly at our 2 desks and Kitchen and Master Bath.

Wi-Fi connectivity
Dual-band, dual-antenna Wi-Fi (MIMO) for faster streaming and fewer dropped connections than standard Wi-Fi. Supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi networks. Does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks. Also includes an 802.15.4 radio for support of smart home devices.

Echo 5 & 8 have this: Wi-Fi connectivity
Dual-band Wi-Fi supports 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi networks.

Seems like WiFi is unlikely to be the issue. Next place to think about is that if you are streaming through the browser the DVR server has to transcode the content. Is the DVR server able to transcode the content fast enough?

1 Like

Just thought I'd share.

My wife decided to get the Echo Show 8. Works GREAT!
The Echo Show 5 simply must not be powerful enough.

Thanks.

1 Like

Does the Echo Show 8 still work with Channels? I haven't been able to get my 10 (2nd Gen) to work. Not sure if it's the unit, an update that disabled access or some other issue.

Thanks

Haven't tried it lately. I'll try to use it tonight if I remember.

Scooter_Scott,

This would be appreciated as they are currently on sale. Thank you

I’m pretty sure I have a 10. The 10 worked just fine when I just tried it

Thanks for the reply. Your previous posts said you had the 8. I checked various settings on the 10 and see no issues. I'll do some more investigating on the network and server side.

Oops my bad it might be the 8 then.

I think I'm closer to resolving my issue. No matter what device I use I cannot use the web player while on my home network. I took my phone off wifi and was able to view my channels. Most of my devices use the app so it's not a huge deal but the Echo Shows obviously do not support the app. How are you using the Echo Show? I could hot spot it but there has to be a better way using my network.