Eero or Orbi for new mesh network?

I use the new Linksys v6 Velop devices and absolutely love them. I got rid of my eero devices after too many bugs and configuration issues with my ISP (Spectrum).

Is there a specific model you can recommend.

I have setup various networks using homekit and channels with numerous hardware thats mentioned in this thread and they all seem to work well. The UDM is probably the most comprehensive one if you want some prosumer features. The Amplif HD is a step down but is also efficient.

In the consumer stuff, the Velops have been rock solid and my fav but Eero and orbi also are reliable. I dont like Eero's Amazon ownership necessarily.
And interestingly the aging AirPort Extreme have are also extremely reliable considering how long they have been around

If you go the UDM route, look into udm-boot. It's necessary to get proper mDNS relays working (since the mDNS repeater/reflector that is used by default is very noisy on the network, and can leak over the WAN): scyto/multicast-relay.

I see. Thanks, I will look at that. Have also got the pi-hole on the to do list.

Neither can I, which is why I don't use that stuff.

In general, I agree. Also, their EdgeMax is the same hardware, without the need for the controller.

However, the simple ARM machine that can run the controller can also act as your DVR server. (At my parents' second home, I have a Pi4 running both Channels and the UniFi controller in containers.)

I run all UniFi network myself. I run the controller on my Synology NAS via docker. Same machine that also runs Channels and Pluto and Stirr dockers as well. Easy peasy.

I run Channels on Synology NAS + camera surveillance. And try not to run much else on the Synology. Docker containers and UniFi controller are on a RPi. NAS is wired, all ATVs are wired, all WiFi access points are wired. I would never introduce mesh APs into the topology. There is just too much bandwidth that runs through this network.

This setup works well for me. And I like the UniFi controller. After using it for a few years now, and am quite accustomed to it. I like the visual feedback, tools, and control it gives me. I don't think I would do WiFi another way ever again.

I am new to Unifi. Is the controller just like the ui for other routers and gives you the ability to remote access via cloud key etc.I have the new interface via UDM

I just recently upgraded from a horrible Verizon router to a linksys velop wifi 6 with no complaints. Only thing I wish I could do with it is assign specific devices to each node. I got the orbi, which is a beast, but with no parental controls I had to return it. Only other thing I use is a linksys 8 port extender attached to my node downstairs. Overall everything runs great. For me I needed the ethernet adapters because most tvs are hardwired.

Well yes. It used to be that you would run the controller, now called the "netowrk application", on a separate device, such as an always on workstation, a raspberry pi, or a cloud key. Then they started making the UDM, which is an all-in-one device that works as a router, switch, and can run the controller.
I perfer the first way, managing my own separate controller on a RPi. But the UDMs are great and a fantastic combination at a great price. I was thinking about the UDM-Pro as an upgrade to my Edgerouter-X, which I currently use as a gateway. But the ER-X works flawlessly doing full-gigabit WAN to LAN and it never needs a reboot. I just checked its current uptime:
djcastaldo::edgerouter ~ $ uptime
01:29:07 up 474 days, 23:05, 2 users, load average: 1.16, 1.12, 1.13

The ER-X is working too well for me to replace now.

But anyway.... about the controller... this is why Ubiquiti calls this line UniFi. Its because you have one controller that allows you to manage all of your equipment. You can manage a USG or UDM, plus any UniFi switches, and any Access Points. All in one interface. It gives you full stats on everything, reports errors, shows all connected clients and which access points they roam to if they are moving around. Allows configuring firewall rules, VLANs, just about anything you would need, all in one UI. The controller is the reason most people choose UniFi.

1 Like

And the requirement for it being the reason others of us choose something else.

I like Ubiquiti EdgeRouters and their AirMax stuff. Have no interest in UniFi or their other offerings.

I mentioned I use an EdgeRouter with my UniFi equipment. I have a bit more than a basic wizard setup there, with hardware offload, VLANs, additional firewall rules... some of which required command-line configuration. But, not a lot of people like to do that sort of configuration.
They want a fancy UI that is easy to use and gives pretty graphs. And a management interface that unifies all components of the network. Possibly rack-mount too. That is why the UDM or USG is appealing. Plus the speed and DPI stats that the UDM is capable of.

But for those using Edgerouters, Edgerouter line does not have access points. For someone looking for great quality access points that support the latest WiFi standards, work with gigabit ethernet or wireless uplink, are simple to configure, and are affordable, UniFi works great. And the controller offers all the stats needed to know if your setup is working well or if you need to tweak something.

I've never used Eero/Orbi, but I know it costs more and is less configurable. Plus all those wireless satellites can't possibly match the throughput or reliability of wired APs.