Eero or Orbi for new mesh network?

Has anyone got an Eero Pro mesh system? I’m about to pull the trigger on either an Eero or Orbi. I’m running several Apple TV’s, a Mac Mini as DVR server and several HDHomeRun tuners.
I’ve got an Orbi (about 3-4 years old) which needs regular reboots and is clearly on the way out.
Is an Eero Pro a good replacement, or shall I just get a new Orbi?
Any experiences welcome. Thanks.

I have had an Orbi RBK50 with one base and two satellites for about 4-5 years and never had an issue with it. It performs well and can't recall ever having to reboot it. We moved a couple years ago and I just set it up in the new house and turned on and away it went. Which Orbi system do you have? Your experience doesn't sound anything like mine.

I have your same setup (2012 Mac Mini DVR and Apple TV 4K) with an Eero mesh network. Works great with a plethora of settings controls in the Eero app that also plays nice with HomeKit. The DVR is hard wired so I only use the mesh network for streaming to mobile devices, which works flawlessly.

I’ve got the RBR50 (base), RBS50 (satellite) and RBW30 (plug-in satellite). When it works, it’s great, but then I have to reboot every few days now, hence replacing it with either another Orbi (RBK50 now) or an Eero pro. I’m reluctant to get another Orbi if it’s going to flake out after a couple of years, but it may be quicker than the Eero Pro!

Oh, haven’t realise the Eero was HomeKit compatible too. Thinking of getting some HomeKit devices in the next year so that might be a plus.
What speeds do you get across your network from the DVR to the Apple TV?

Both are wired to the same switch at 1000Base-T, so transfer is instantaneous. I have 35 HomeKit devices in my home, mostly Philips Hue lights. I also have locks, a garage door opener, fire alarm, thermostat w/sensors and a video doorbell with HomeKit secure video. Works brilliantly.

What exactly does it do that is HomeKit friendly that another router doesn't do? I don't use Homekit, but do have a SmartThings hub and Echos, and a lot of smart devices. The only thing the router does for that is provide the WiFi network. Just curious.

Have you tried removing the RBW30. I didn't add the slower speed devices to my "50" setup because if you do then it drops everything to the slower backhaul speed.

Ah- just spotted a snag: my HDHRs are in a different location to my routine, so both WiFi bases need Ethernet connections- I don’t think the Eero satellites have Ethernet ports do they?

Through HomeKit it uses Apple's secure end to end encryption for all connected devices.

if your buy their three pack you would get six Ethernet ports.(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WMLPSRLref=ods_ucc_eeroCCC_B07WMLPSRL%20_rc_nd_ucc)

Bad link. Try this: https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-eero-mesh-WiFi-system-3-pack-/dp/B07WMLPSRL/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Eero+three+pack&qid=1597173158&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExOUFUNlBORFpXSzJHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDI3MzIxNjNSUzRRMExTT1NYJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5NDMxNTUxQkIxTUdMNDRYR0dSJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Still a weird link, but I’ve just bought the Eero Pro 3-pack. Arrives on Thursday.

Eero is fantastic! I've used 3 pro's throughout the house (all Ethernet connected though). Mesh handoff as I walk around the house is amazing.

1 Like

I have my HDHR connected to an Eero Pro "satellite" via ethernet and it works wonderfully!

2 Likes

Thanks, I may have been getting confused because on the Eero website, they show a three-item set which consists of an Eero Pro and two “beacons“. The beacons don’t have ethernet, but I believe the set sold on Amazon is three pros, all with the right ports.

It should arrive later today, so I’ll find out soon enough!

I would have suggested researching the new ax band routers, wifi6...

I did, but they all seemed either un-reviewed or out of my budget.
I expect that’ll be my next upgrade, sooner or later, depending on how I get on with Eero!

Depending upon your infrastructure, you may want to look at some of UI (formerly Ubiquiti)'s options. BeaconHDs provide 4x4 MIMO meshing over ac, assuming you already have an existing controller and mesh-capable AP.

The BeaconHDs are $129/ea, but 2x2 MIMO AP Lites are $89/ea, and can also effectively act as mesh APs with zero handoff, and support wireless uplink. You can also run the controller software on the same machine that runs your Channels DVR server.

I have had great success with Ubiquiti's wifi offerings (both access points & Beacons).
Performance is excellent, interface is easy enough & PoE for the access points is wonderful.

Network handoffs are seamless through a house with multi-floor 4-course interior brick walls. Speeds have never been a problem. They replaced Apple's old wifi routers, which were quite miserable unless we had line of sight to them.

I can't bring myself to run an Ubiquiti controller and all that for a simple home network (although I know plenty of people who do). I prefer their consumer Amplifi HD line which is very simple to set up and works great.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. My Eero Pro arrived today and so far it’s been fabulous- much faster speeds around the whole house and the DVR to ATV speeds are in the 150 Mbits/sec and upwards range.
Time will tell if it’s more stable than the Orbi it’s replacing, but early signs are very good.

3 Likes