ESPN+ & FOX Sports with Custom Channels via EPlusTV

Thanks for the hint.
I will get it authorized today for a nice full day of sporting events.

Does anyone know if this can be run on a raspberry pi? If so, could anyone please recommend some kind of tutorial or list of steps i could try in order to do so?

1 Like

@augie0041 I haven't personally tried running on a Raspberry Pi, but the docker container supports it so I'd be interested to see how it performs.

@rpaulmerrell @jagrim @JayHeavner There is a bug with the auth tokens refreshing. I need to figure out where it's breaking. Shouldn't be too crazy to figure out :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I'm looking for a little help. I'm trying to get this to work on a M1 Mac using Docker Desktop for Mac with Silicon. This is the run command I've tried the most (played around some):
docker run -p 8000:8000 -v config_dir:/app/config -e START_CHANNEL=4000 m0ngr31/eplustv

The first time I run it in the morning I'll get the code to activate it in a browser. It will then pull in the games but they're assigned to channels 1 - 100. They show up in the guide in the Channels DVR browser and won't play. They don't show up on the guide on the TV after added to Custom Channels. The 4000 channels do but don't show the games in the guide, Just the EPlusTV logo and channel number. When I try to play the channel it shows "Event Will Start Soon". I know others have experienced this. Does this just not work on the Mac M1 or ? I've read through this thread multiple times and spent a good deal of time on this. I'm not experienced Docker user at all.

I'm using these in Channels Custom Channels set up, using the ip address of my Channels DVR setup.
192.168.1.89:8000/channels.m3u
192.168.1.89:8000/xmltv.xml

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

When setting up the custom channel did you select "prefer channel number from M3U" or "ignore channel number from M3U"?

In my setup, I have it set to "Ignore channel number from M3U and the channels appear in the guide at 11001-11100 and play fine when I click on them. I have no idea why or how they are mapped to the 11,000 range of channel numbers. I don't have the environment variable START_Channel set at all.

1 Like

I tried running it with "ignore channel number from M3U" and they appeared in the guide starting at 9000. That was an improvement of sorts. I did set the start channel for that at one time, but realized that Pluto TV used those channel numbers so had changed it to start at channel number 4000. I'm guessing they wouldn't play since they were running over another channel. I've run this so many time it's probably just grabbing the older code and I have no idea where it resides or what the command might be to delete it. They also appeared starting at channel 1 and on, also unable to play. As I said, not experienced in docker at all. Thanks for you help.

1 Like

I just pushed an update that should hopefully fix some of the issues that were happening with tokens refreshing

6 Likes

Thanks for pushing out the update. i will check in on my docker.

Great work on the reauthorization issue.

I updated to your latest version this am but tweaked my update procedure.

Synology running DSM6.

Deleted old container without deleting the json token. Launched new version and installed. Checked log for code-no code but had the following log entries:

Refreshing device token
Refreshing device refresh token
Refreshing BAM access token

Launched a stream and watched for a couple of minutes then closed stream.

Checked log and about 4 minutes later had the following entries:
Refreshing auth token
Refreshing device token

So far so good.
Thanks for the work you put in!!!

1 Like

So I have updated to latest build. But I am unable to get a stream. Everything indicates that it is grabbing stream but I never shows up in the web player or channels client.

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 9.09.34 AM

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 9.21.29 AM

Here's my docker compose that I have been using for a long time.

version: "2"
services:
  eplustv:
    image: m0ngr31/eplustv:latest
    container_name: espnPLUS-for-channels
    environment:
      - ACCESS_URI='http://mac-mini.local:8000'
      - ESPN_USER=XXX
      - ESPN_PASS=XXX
      - START_CHANNEL=8000
    ports:
      - 8000:8000
    volumes:
      - /Users/XXX/docker/espnPLUS-for-channels/config:/app/config
volumes:
  config:
2 Likes

1st, , I know nothing about running docker on a Mac Mini but I'll give it a shot.

It looks like you are putting your user name / password in your script. I'm pretty sure that is your problem as they are no longer required per the readme file on GitHub.

After you start the container, wait about a minute then go to the container log and get the token code. Activate that code on the espn.com activation website - the log will show you the correct site. Presto, it works.

So all you have to do is get the token from the log, enter it at the espn activation site, then log in with your account info to authorize.

Maybe someone else can tell you how to see your container log.

PS: I’m on a Synology NAS and it’s working great right now.

I appear to be getting a valid token.

Refreshing device token

And the DVR seems to get a valid stream

There is an active event. Going to start the stream.
Channel has upcoming event. Setting timer to start
Stream for Channel 8003 started on PID:  28

But I only see the splash screen (Your Event will start soon) and it never transitions to the live feed.

This used to work before I pulled the latest build to do the auto refresh of the token.

Try navigating to another channel and going back to the one that just started

1 Like

Another thing to check is the event actually on. Check play on the espn app Then find that event in Channels. The Event Splash screen should pop up and the event should start playing. That normally takes about 6-9 secs for me.

When I’m on the FTV, the Splash Screen pops up, then the timeline bar pops up. When it fades out, the stream normally starts.

Yeah tried that. It plays on the ESPN app or website, but not through channels. Although it appears that it is capturing the stream as seen by the activity monitor of channels.

2 Likes

Try opening the channel in VLC

I've just installed this cool feature and it works very nicely, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem. I'm getting channels like Pluto TV News, CMT, and BET-Her populating in the guide. The xml file does not have these entries, but the Channels guide shows them. Any ideas? Thanks.

That happened to me daldana7296. The channel range was the same as part of Pluto TV's channel range so some overlapped and wouldn't play. Do you have PlutoTV installed as well? I haven't been able to get this to work yet.

I have ESPN+ starting at channel 8000 (set variable in your container), and for Pluto (when setting up in Channels) I chose to ignore the channel number in the m3u. This resulted in Pluto starting at channel 9000. I also did the same thing for Plex TV. So, no overlapping channels.

1 Like

Thanks cam and sheepy, that was it! I have the non-docker version of PlutoTV installed which is working fine.