ETA Channels 5.0 for Android

Do we have an ETA for Channels 5.0 for Android (and FireTV)?

2 Likes

Bump

+1

There's no timeline on anything we build.

In what world do devs give etas? I sure would like to live in that world.

I know, but it has been about 2 months after the Apple release. That is usually the time for the Android release. :wink:

On Later was introduced to Web UI and Apple back in september. Stil not on Android.
Automatic Channel Conditions was intruduced in January. Still not on Android.

I am glad to see you all introducing new features recently. But the old features have not been brought to Android yet.

This software is great. I love so many aspects of it. But I hope to see progress on Android side. Be strait with me. Do I need to drink the Kool Aid and buy an Apple TV(s). Also thank yall for being the type of developers who actually read and respect their users.

I'm sure eventually everything will come to Android. But if you want to have the latest and greatest Channels updates as soon as they come to Beta, then you certainly need an Apple TV. Although they cost more than Android, they aren't that expensive. There are no advertisements. The simple remote has great touch controls and operates your entire system. And they work great. So it's not a bad purchase idea.

2 Likes

That's great, but I'm not about to change my whole eco system to support a different vendor. Maybe if channels doesn't provide the support for android users that is required, someone else will come into the space and do so. There are over 110 million TV's with android OS, that should be large enough to get support.

I agree. I wish android was primary and apple was secondary. But you have to accept the facts. Devs drank the kool-aide. So apple will come first.I don't like it. But it won't change.

I am glad Automatic channels collections came to android (finally). I was super excited. 2nd best feature they ever made (virtual channels is first)

I think the only features we are missing is Channels downloads (introduced in November) and On later (introduced in September).

Im excited for onlater. I dont give a shit 'bout offline downloads. I know how to copy and paste files. Lol.

Not going to Happen. Linear TV is dying. No one new is going to make DVR their primary focus. Only secondary focus (Plex).

We are dinosaurs. ROAR!!!!!!! Now you can take my remote out of my dead feathery short t-rex arms.

@David_Heath I feel your frustration. Devs don't seem to get angry when we vent or complain. Let out all your apple hate and anger.

Cosmic Crisp apples are better then Macintosh apples. Both pale in comparison to oranges. The best fruit ever!!!

1 Like

LOL, I actually bought a couple of these to see if they lived up the hype and was sorely disappointed. Granny Smith and Pink Lady FTW!!!

Macoun FTW :slight_smile:

TV's with an OS are not the same as dedicated streaming boxes, like Nvidia Shield and Apple TV etc.
Most of those "110 million" TVs are crap hardware, weak, and barely can manage to run its OEM modified image of AndroidTV or whatever "Smart" OS they have.

Look on the forms here, many posts of users of even high end TVs that find they are useless to run things other than basic streaming apps, let alone host a Channels DVR or Plex server, like many do with the Shield etc.

Many tvs have flaws with the hardware that never can be fixed, that prevent the use of hardware decoding or at least have issues with it. Some can't even decode the MPEG2 video that is USA OTA standard. Thus requires the use of software decoding, but the weak cpu in the tv can not come close to handling it.

Dedicated streaming boxes are almost always superior option for performance, reliability and usefulness.

Weather or not you prefer Apple TV or Android TV is highly subjective.
I used to use Android TV on the Shield for many years, until it became just crap full of ads and bugs. Moved to Apple TV and found it superior in several ways, lacking in others. As expected though. (The latest drama with the Shield only furthers my happyness that i made the move and did not have to deal with all that.)

Thanks for the info and your perspective, but to me it's all just:

appleka

I'm not sure how trying a different streaming box hooked up to your TV requires changing your "whole eco system". What are the primary apps that you use other than Channels?

I'm curious. What issues would you likely run into if an Apple TV box was the only Apple device in your household? Are there maintenance tasks that require an iPhone or iPad?

I think the issue is consistency. If there was only ONE TV and ONE streaming device, I agree, not a big deal. But in my household there are multiple TVs and at least 6 steaming devices. Replacing a $35 Firestick with a $200 Apple TV becomes a significant investment for multiple devices.

There is nothing like that. Apple TV does not require you to have an iPhone, although initial setup works faster with one (you don't need to setup any accounts or enter any passwords... it all works from your phone). But it will certainly work well without an iphone. Aside from the lost benefit of a faster initial setup, you don't need other Apple devices. If your main apps are stuff like Channels, Netfilx, Amazon, and similar, they are going to work great. And you will have access to all the best and latest Channels features. Plus, no ads, whatsoever. Built-in gigabit networking. A simple remote that controls your whole media center. Its compatible with an HDMI TV, works with HDMI-CEC, can control fancy audio systems or connect to bluetooth speakers. And the device will power on right to the last app you had open when you last powered things off.

@NetworkGuy Apple TV 4k is $140 brand new. But it doesn't require replacing the firesticks on all your TVs to work. They can co-exist.

@djcastaldo

the issue is consistency