EXPERIMENTAL: New MPEG-TS Rewriter for HLS (TVE)

I’m seeing frame drops using this on live TVE. Watching stats it drops a frame every 10-15 seconds. Makes a noticeable pause in the video

I don't see the frame drops on everything. Mainly for me it was the History channel. I didn't go through everything but I did try a lot of channels. I get like 5 drops right away but then after that it stays static normally. Scrubbing seems to be way better. Just weird with the History. It might not be related I guess I need to turn it off to see if the problem goes away or still persists.

1 Like

I tried several channels and watched it add a drop frame every 10-15 seconds. Turned off the feature and had no dropped frames. Turned it back on and the frame drops came back. On screen it looks like the video freezes for a hair, or jumps.

Im seeing occasional frame drops when i use the stats menu, but i have no reference point on what is considered normal.

So far , however, I havent noticed anything wrong with the picture quality on live or recorded material. I.e. no stuttering, no transport lag, etc. no pixilation, etc.

So far so good on my end…

1 Like

Please let me know what channels you’re seeing this on (and for others reporting issues, it’s very helpful if you can confirm it doesn’t happen with the feature disabled to rule out other issues like @mtnbkr60 did).

So I went through all the channels I had for hulu.

6043 A&E
6044 History
6045 FYI HD
6046 Lifetime

All have the frame studders. I was also looking at the estimated fps. It was all over the place. No other channels displayed this behavior. If I turn the MPEG-TS feature off. They all straighten out. No dropped frames outside of the first few when the channel is starting up.

@jxxaxxy thanks I’ll check it out

History, all 3 hallmarks, tastemade, so far. Will test more later.

Update

Add
Sundance channel
AMC

I just tested with and without the experimental feature. The dropped frame count on the show stats menu slowly increases over time and follows when the experimental feature is turned on. Seen this on

History channel
AMC
Wired to fish (a m3u freebie)
Discovery

I havent see any count increase on OTA stations with the experimental feature.

In my case these dropped frames are not noticeable and i havent obseved studdering , pixalations, etc.

The count just slowly increases over time.
Im seeing the count increase to around 8 after of a minute or so depending on the channel.

btw - When I turn the show stats, whether the experimental feature is enabled or not, there are always a few dropped frames when the stats window pops up. Ive seen this before many moons ago and chalked it up to a startup condition and ignored the low count (between 2 and 4)

What i observe is that when the experimental feature is enabled, the count increase slowly over time. Does not increase when experimental feature turned off

If you watch carefully you will see a momentary hitch in picture, like a 3:2 pull-down.

@eric I'm also seeing this on a TVE recording from the history channel. Ive got the stats page up and I'll get a burst of about 3 frames dropped and a visible "hitch" in the video. Not sure if this helps but I also noticed that the audio bitrate disappears from the stats while i am dropping the frames. Weird thing is that the dropped frame counter keeps resetting itself and starting over at 0. All of this was on my iPad connected to an external display. Hope this helps.
edit: video bitrate disappears too

I think the frame counter disappears where there is a commercial skip. Or at least that was what I thought I was seeing when that happened.

Thanks for all the reports, everyone. It doesn’t look like this is ready to roll out yet. We’ll have to do more work to get it there.

2 Likes

This works fine for nat geo wild.
Only used for a couple hrs so far on my livingroom tv that uses a Nvidia Shield Pro.
Played History and the other channels other say have issues, plays fine for me.
Have not tried a recording yet.

Hi Eric,
I promised feedback on Tuesday... While I'm aware of the feedback that you've recently been provided on the live viewing, watching and processing recorded shows is 100% better with the new rewriter.

The recordings from Disco last night were 100% of their expected length, and were good enough quality for my normal process to cut, then re-encode. It even worked with a couple of the 4 hour recordings that I was having trouble with.

2 Likes

Hi, how do I get the pre release builds?

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 2.05.47 PM
Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 2.06.15 PM

1 Like

I tried it for a week or so then disabled it because my NBC TVE feed began to stutter. The audio played fine, but the video would pause briefly every few seconds making it really annoying to watch.

Yup that was the same issue I was running into. Video drops but audio played fine through it.

Is this something we should resume testing again now?

1 Like