Experimental: Stream Links from the Guide via Custom Channels

The DVR beta was updated today. I just realized that You mentioned MSNBC app. That might explain it. I assumed that the NBC app routed me to MSNBC through the link. I guess that I'll install the MSNBC app.

Thanks

Either should work, at least they do for me on AppleTV. All of the NBC apps have the same live guide inside for playing all of the other NBC channels too. Once you get it working for one, you can experiment and see how you'd prefer for it to work. Some folks are configuring their guide to launch the same one app for every channel and some folks (like me) are using different apps for each one. Here's my earlier post with all the channels that are working for me that way:

I installed the MSNBC app and made sure that I was logged in. I verified that I have the latest DVR beta and the latest Channels beta. I'm using the same #EXINF as you. When I try (on my firestick) to launch through channels all that I get is a black screen. Has anyone got this to work on a firestick?

Same here, any fix that you know of?

@Skoot had mentioned above, it working for FireTV, I didn’t think a Fire stick would behave differently.

3 Likes

With the caveat that I'm not sure I know what I'm doing, but after hacking around, I have it working (sort of) for NBC Sports Philadelphia with the info in the code block below added as a new section to the example from Aman in the very post, above:

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="nbcsn-philly” tvc-guide-stationid=“32571”,NBCSN PHILADELPHIA
nbctve://live/rsn-philly

I say "sort of" because it worked 3 out of 4 times in the beta iPhone app. One time it didn't work after I switched away from the requested show in the NBC app, then went back to the Channels app, and tried again. It stayed on the other show.

Also, it didn't work in the NBC App on either the Apple TV or the Fire Stick, but that might be because the show in question doesn't even seem to be on those platforms, or at least I couldn't find it (there are no live sporting events tonight, as ESPN has the Phillies game). On the Apple TV, it switched to the NBC app but didn't go to the show. On the Fire Stick, it went to the app and gave me a bit exclamation point in the middle of the screen with "Not Available. This video is not available."

1 Like

Did anyone get this working with Marquee Sports Network? They have a TVE app... also... how do I find the links... I understand that Directv Stream starts with dfw:// but how do I get the rest?

2 Likes

I've read most of this thread, so sorry if I missed this, but is there a way to set up a custom channel with an "either/or" to represent if the channel is being selected on iOS versus tvOS? In some of the answers, above, it appears that YouTube TV links work directly on iOS, but don't work on tvOS, so I'd like different things to happen depending on which platform I'm on.

Another observation regarding YouTube TV: the Fire Stick dashboard has a TV guide which links directly to shows on YouTube TV (click on a show and YouTube TV launches directly to the show). The Fire Stick user interface is a train wreck, but that's a nice touch. I have no idea if similar links would be developer-accessible (or user accessible).

Yes, some of the streamlinks are different on ios vs tvOS.
What i have done, until someone else comes up with a more elegant solution, is to create two stream links, one for ios and one for tvos. They must have different channel numbers.

once you have verified that each of the stream links works for the correct device, you can use channels collections to isolate the “duplicate” channel that way.

I also tried to use a client specific server side setting but for some reason that did not work out for me. But it looks like you can isolate different sources to different clients.

At one point I had an IOS source and a separate tvOS source, but I coukdnt get it working and decided it was easier to use a channels collection to separate them out.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Ahh, I like that idea. I'm pretty new to Channels (it's quickly becoming a nerd obsession), but I think what you're saying is that for each client, go into Server Side Only > Channel Collections and make it so only the correct collection appears for that client?

As stated earlier we will make any transformations in the app so iOS links work on tvOS. Just let us know what to add.

2 Likes

Fantastic.. must have missed that post.

So far Ive only run into this with the nfl network on the NFL app. Not sure whats gonna happen in the fall with redzone. Too early to tell.

1 Like

Thanks! The one I'm thinking of is YouTube TV links on iOS, like this:

youtubetv://6t_X17ODjZs

That's a link to NBC Sports Philadelphia. And since those links don't work on tvOS, then either just a link to the YouTube app (without going to the show), or a link to the show in the NBC Sports app, which is this:

nbcsportstve://live/rsn-philadelphia

I'm not sure if people would prefer going to YouTube TV without going to the show, or going to the NBC app and going to the show. The NBC app has seemed pretty slow to load.

We can make youtube links open the youtube app on tvOS. If you want to open a different app you'd need a separate entry.

1 Like

Personally, I'd prefer them to open in the Youtube TV app on tvOS even if it doesn't go directly to the channel there. The NBC app is kind of flakey.

1 Like

That is an understatement.
The NBC tvOS app isn’t very stable. I don’t have YTTV to make a comparison, but I’ve seen a ton of flakiness mostly on the Apple Tv. The NBC app on iOS seems more stable.

2 Likes

I haven't had any issues with the NBC app on the ATV, it is the MSNBC app that is unusable. Most of the time it opens two instances of the app, and it creates this audio echo between the two instances. Really strange behavior that has nothing to do with Channels and links.

Has anyone been able to add multiple Music Choice channel links? On Spectrum, the networkID's are the same for every Music Choice channel, so you can only add one channel, the first one. If anyone knows how to isolate links with the same networkID, please give some insight. Thanks.

I installed the NBC, MSNBC, and CNBC apps and set them up. I’m using your file of the links. The only one that I can get to work is NBC. The other two only give me a blank screen. Any ideas? I did copy your file from my browser to a Notepad file and then later copied it intoChannels. Could that have corrupted the info somehow. Non printable characters inserted?