Experimental: Stream Links from the Guide via Custom Channels

Here is a list of apps which should support deep links to live streams:

3 Likes

For others.
Ive noticed that I can avoid the wonkiness when opening the NBC app from the channels streamlink - and needing to use the app switcher to close the app before getting your station to load

Before you exit the NBC app while watching any live channel, go to the home page first before exiting the NBC app.

Next time you load the station from within channels , the streamlink it will load properly.

1 Like

You could contact NBC support here and let them know: https://help.nbc.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001366074

2 Likes

This may work for NFL:

#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="nfl" channel-number="6192" tvc-guide-stationid="45399",NFL
nflnetwork://watch/nfl-network-live
3 Likes

FYI, on both my Shield and Android phone, I get the 503 error code that others have received. Is this new feature only for Apple devices at this time? Thanks.

It requires the beta update on your android device.

3 Likes

Interesting, so perhaps we could mix and match? Like choosing a live show on MSNBC would launch the MSNBC app, choosing a live show on CNBC would launch the CNBC app, and choosing any of the other NBCU Stream Links would launch the NBC app?

2 Likes

The tvc-guide-stationid for MSNBC is non-HD unlike all the others, so I changed it to 64241. Otherwise, perfect. Thank you!

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="msnbc" tvg-chno="6050" tvc-guide-stationid="64241",MNBCHD
nbctve://live/msnbc
1 Like

Sure, you pick the links you want to use. the nbctve:// links launch the NBC app.

1 Like

Is there any way to do this to just launch a specific app (I realize it would have to support hot links) and add it as an icon in the UI, either stand alone or add it as a collection? Say, a Hulu icon and click it to take you out to the Hulu app?

2 Likes

What app? I tried nfl network app but that one doesn’t authorize with my cable provider, so cant test the stream link

1 Like

I'll have to wait until I get home to install on my Shield, the app says it is not compatible with my Android 13 phone. Rats!

1 Like

Great! The following Stream Links are working too:

msnbctve://live/msnbc
cnbctve://live/cnbc
bravotve://live/bravo
usatve://live/usa

I think this is working better for me, than each channel trying to launch the same (NBC) app, as that method is requiring frequent force-quits and re-launches of the NBC app to work when jumping between channels.

Anyone else following along: obviously install and authorize each of these apps ahead of time, if you want to try this on your device.

I have not yet figured out the Stream Links for launching E! or Oxygen, though. The obvious guesses didn't work. Anyone else?

3 Likes

Annoyingly, this doesn't work on tvOS. You have to leave out the tve and just do msnbc://live/msnbc

Even more annoyingly, that url doesn't work on iOS. So if you want to use the MSNBC app on both you'll need 2 channels.

1 Like

For simple transformations that make ios urls work on tvos, we can add those to our app. We have to do some things like that already for library stream links.

I'll add the four noted above.

1 Like

You could add stream link movies like this, add your own art, and put them in a collection.

2 Likes

Is this scenario would that be as simple as putting the stream link into the import folder?

2 Likes

Yep. All this stuff is really open to just hacking around.

2 Likes

The only one that doesn't work on tvOS as @Fofer posted is MSNBC. All the others open fine.

Though the native Bravo and USA apps have the same finicky problem as the NBC app where the live video won't load if you leave the app and come back without either forcing it closed or navigating away from the live section before leaving the apps.

1 Like

Will this work with HBO if you are subscribed with YouTubeTV or Prime Video?