- the Channels and Channels DVR Server software is built using continuous deployment methodology
- every change to the codebase is automatically deployed, and made available as a prerelease build to subscribers
- on days of heavy development, several beta and prerelease builds may be published
Beta versions are distributed via Apple's TestFlight app. Click this TestFlight invite link from an iPhone or iPad to join the beta program.
Beta releases of the android APK are published to the Play Store, and also available for side-loading.
To install the Channels beta as a separate app on your device, simply go into the stable Channels app and select Settings > Support > Beta Testing > Install Beta App
You can opt-in or opt-out of the beta process directly on the Play Store
The simplest way to sideload the beta APK is via the Downloader app:
Sideloading can also done via the
adb developer tool:
- enable developer mode on your android device
adb connect <ip>from your computer to connect to the android device
adb install channels-dvr-xxx.apkto install the APK
On Windows 11, you can also find GUI helpers for Android subsystem on the Windows Store which will let you drag-and-drop the APK to install it.
The kodi add-on is an experimental client, currently only available in beta. It integrates with Kodi Matrix/Nexus as a PVR plugin.
To install the add-on, follow these steps:
- click Settings > File manager > Add source
channels-kodifor name, then hit OK to save
- click Settings > Add-ons > Install from zip file
- click on
- click Settings > Add-ons > Install from repository > Channels Add-on Repository
- click PVR clients > Channels DVR Client > Install
The DVR server software has a built-in auto-update mechanism that works the same way across all operating system and environments, including NAS apps and containers like Docker.
On the DVR web UI, select Status > Version > Check For Update > Check for Pre-Release
Our Raspberry Pi Disk Image also supports built-in auto-update. Beta versions can be installed via the web UI, under Operating System > Version