Experimental: Stream Links from the Guide via Custom Channels

Thank you for your help but I'm still missing something. My provider is Hulu. How does Stream Links open this universal link? What is the actual app?

1 Like

The NBC app

Any links for BBC iPlayer or ITVX? Thanks

This is correctly listing data, but when it jumps me over to the NBC app on my iPad, it gives me an error message, even though I'm signed in to the NBC app: "Z100 User must re-authentice". If I close the error message and go back to the NBC app main screen, I can watch other content.

IMG_CDB08DF4B585-1

UPDATE: I just checked and things work fine on the iPhone, so this is just an issue in my iPad (2018 12.9 inch iPad Pro).

Sorry if I seem dense but I still don't understand. My streaming provider is HULU Live. I can add the NBC app to my firestick but I don't see from the information above how the #EXINF information that I pasted into sources will connect me to the NBC app and even if it does, the app won't let me watch MSNBC without a paid subscription, will it?

In this instance, clicking a show will launch the NBC app. Inside the NBC app is a live guide of its own that includes MSNBC, Bravo, E!, and more. And yes, it will let you watch the MSNBC channel, so long as you're able to authenticate via provider (in your case, Hulu Live.)

At least that is how it works for me, on AppleTV, with the NBC app authenticating via DirecTV subscription.

Is it possible to get a stream link for the NESN 360 app on Apple TV?

Thank you. I have installed the NBC app and verified that it works. When I use the Channels app and click on MSNBC I get a black screen. That's it. It can't seem to find the NBC app.

Hmm. Have you updated to the latest betas and prereleases of all the ingredients involved?

Yesterday I did. Have they been revised again today?

I don't think so. Maybe try with a different app? Here's how I manage it in my guide, using the MSNBC app instead.

1 Like

The DVR beta was updated today. I just realized that You mentioned MSNBC app. That might explain it. I assumed that the NBC app routed me to MSNBC through the link. I guess that I'll install the MSNBC app.

Thanks

Either should work, at least they do for me on AppleTV. All of the NBC apps have the same live guide inside for playing all of the other NBC channels too. Once you get it working for one, you can experiment and see how you'd prefer for it to work. Some folks are configuring their guide to launch the same one app for every channel and some folks (like me) are using different apps for each one. Here's my earlier post with all the channels that are working for me that way:

I installed the MSNBC app and made sure that I was logged in. I verified that I have the latest DVR beta and the latest Channels beta. I'm using the same #EXINF as you. When I try (on my firestick) to launch through channels all that I get is a black screen. Has anyone got this to work on a firestick?

Same here, any fix that you know of?

@Skoot had mentioned above, it working for FireTV, I didn’t think a Fire stick would behave differently.

3 Likes

With the caveat that I'm not sure I know what I'm doing, but after hacking around, I have it working (sort of) for NBC Sports Philadelphia with the info in the code block below added as a new section to the example from Aman in the very post, above:

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="nbcsn-philly” tvc-guide-stationid=“32571”,NBCSN PHILADELPHIA
nbctve://live/rsn-philly

I say "sort of" because it worked 3 out of 4 times in the beta iPhone app. One time it didn't work after I switched away from the requested show in the NBC app, then went back to the Channels app, and tried again. It stayed on the other show.

Also, it didn't work in the NBC App on either the Apple TV or the Fire Stick, but that might be because the show in question doesn't even seem to be on those platforms, or at least I couldn't find it (there are no live sporting events tonight, as ESPN has the Phillies game). On the Apple TV, it switched to the NBC app but didn't go to the show. On the Fire Stick, it went to the app and gave me a bit exclamation point in the middle of the screen with "Not Available. This video is not available."

1 Like

Did anyone get this working with Marquee Sports Network? They have a TVE app... also... how do I find the links... I understand that Directv Stream starts with dfw:// but how do I get the rest?

2 Likes

I've read most of this thread, so sorry if I missed this, but is there a way to set up a custom channel with an "either/or" to represent if the channel is being selected on iOS versus tvOS? In some of the answers, above, it appears that YouTube TV links work directly on iOS, but don't work on tvOS, so I'd like different things to happen depending on which platform I'm on.

Another observation regarding YouTube TV: the Fire Stick dashboard has a TV guide which links directly to shows on YouTube TV (click on a show and YouTube TV launches directly to the show). The Fire Stick user interface is a train wreck, but that's a nice touch. I have no idea if similar links would be developer-accessible (or user accessible).