Extend recording time while recording

This is especially important for sporting events that run long or shows that air after live sporting events that ran long. But currently when I try to change the current recording via the Android app it creates a 2nd recording. Last night I tried to do this via the web admin UI (since I knew the app wasn't going to work), and it didn't work at all (not even the 2nd recording).

I know you can extend the recording when initially scheduling the recording (which I do for sports and one TV show which airs after sports), but you should be able to do this on the fly as well.

Devices are Android Nvidia Shield and Fire TV.

Huh. Where in the app and on the dvr web UI did you try editing the padding?

Under DVR schedule I believe. Below is a screenshot, but I don't have anything recording right now, but it's where I went last night. I can try again with this recording in the screenshot (as it's one I have set to record late due to sports often played previously on same channel). And not sure if it makes a difference, but my recording last night for the game already had a 60 minute padding at the end, and I tried to extend it even further (opposed to a recording with no padding originally scheduled). Are you saying this should work via the web but not from the app?

Are you saying you couldn't find the option, or that it's not actually extending the recording after setting it? I did find just now that if I extend a sporting event from the web browser UI, that a connected Android client doesn't seem to recognize the extension when I enter recording options there on the client.

I just watched the recording from last night and it actually did extend the recording (again) like I wanted it to. BUT, when watching live (from my Shield), as soon as the original stop time occurred, the app kicked me out of the recording. So that's why I assumed it didn't honor my second extension. Sorry for not checking this earlier.

But I do know this doesn't work when changing the extension from within the app (unless that's been recently fixed), as I've seen it create a 2nd recording (instead of just extending the time of the one already in progress). I'll have to test the same workflow from the app again, maybe do that tonight since I have one scheduled to extend.

A somewhat separate issue, but my main struggle today was getting home and finding out one of the football games was in overtime - without being able to scroll backwards in the guide, it was a pain trying to figure out what channel the game had been on so that I could watch the overtime.

It did the same to me while watching the Vikes game as soon as the original airtime ended even though I had extra time to go it kicked me off. Android APP.

1 Like

@Edwin_Perez Glad to know I'm not losing it...or at least not the only one with the issue. I already had the game recording set to record 60mins late (which was enough to see my Pats lose), but was hoping to include the extended local coverage (same channel) into the existing recording, rather than a seperate one. Turns out it actually did, but I didn't realize that until just now. So I recorded the TV show that was in the schedule for that time and went to bed, thinking I had lost 1-2 minutes (in the time it took me to schedule the other recording).

I was really mad when it kicked me out .. it was during OT 2nd and Goal for Minnesota pitchout to Cook and it froze then back to guide. On all my devices playing the game.

1 Like

Yeah, not the best timing. At least your Vikes made it farther in the playoffs than my Pats did this year! But agree that it needs to be fixed.

Sounds like an Android client bug to me. I haven’t seen this kind of issue in Apple TV. FYI for developers.

Interesting. I can try to repro on my FireTV, although FireTV "OS" is actually a modified Android (and probably the same Channels app).

I did try to change the existing extended recording (while being recorded) via the Android mobile app again last night, and it created a 2nd recording like its done in the past. Server version is 1.3.511, app on phone is 2.1.19.

I just checked the duplicate recording before I deleted it, and it actually started the recording at the time when I actually scheduled the extension (while recording), 57 minutes in to a 2hr recording. So the duplicate isn't really a duplicate since it started an hour late, instead of just changing the padding on the back-end. So I'm glad I looked at it first before I deleted it, as I was actually going to delete the original recording, and then I'd be without a recording at all.