Fast Forward Lag After New TV Purchase

I’ve had Channels for 3 years and love it. I have a Synology 218+ with upgraded 6gb of ram and a Crucial 1tb sata ssd for recordings. My previous TV was a 43” 1080p and would fast forward 30 seconds without any lag - instantaneous - using this setup. Everything was super fast.

I recently upgraded to a 50” 4k tv and now I am experiencing some lag when I fast forward, or go back to the library at the end of a recording… sometimes up to a few seconds. Do you think this lag is due to the Synology not able to handle the larger display, or that I need a faster ssd?

Just two of us in the house watching TV at the same time, and it doesn’t bother my wife, thought I’d ask for any ideas or recommendations before upgrading. Thanks!

What client device are you using?

Apple TV 4K.

It has nothing to do with the new tv. Is the atv using wired or WiFi ? If it’s WiFi maybe the tv is blocking the WiFi signal more than the other tv. When you say “lag” do you mean spinning buffer or you hit the remote key and it seems like the signal from the remote is slow to get there?

Thanks for the input. The Apple TV is wired directly to the router, as is the Synology NAS. At the beginning of a recording, I do see the “spinning” icon for a second or two. When I am watching the video and fast forward through a commercial, the first toe or three clicks (at 30 seconds each) are pretty fast… not as fast as previously but close… and then after that is when the lag occurs. No spinning, just like a pause before moving forward. I also want to say that the recordings are not being transcoded… they are original quality.

1 Like

Can you post the results of. Speed test?

On Apple TV, first go to the system Settings app and note the IP address of your Apple TV. Then launch Channels and make sure it is visible on the screen. Finally, use a browser on another device like a computer or tablet to open http://x.x.x.x:57000/speedtest using the IP that you found for your Apple TV.

1 Like

Here’s what it came up with:

Speedtest

Download
Mbit/s

Latency
ms

Jitter
ms

1 Like

That's very slow and what's causing your issues

Interesting. My WiFi is over 500mbps. Could it be an Ethernet cable issue?

Could be a cable. Might be time for a router reboot. And retest speed

Thanks for the input and advice!

2 Likes

I did a test on wifi for grins and here are the results. The Speedtest app on Apple TV was twice as fast. I think the cable might be the issue.

Speedtest

Download
Mbit/s

Latency
ms

Jitter
ms

I would recommend running the speed test from sonething wired to your switch/router.

@tmm1 does this test matter the connection of the device the browser is being viewed from? Example my phone is on a WiFi 50mb connection will the test show the atv speed to server as 996mb or does my phone limit the test results to 50mb?

The speed test is run between the device having the browser
(that you enter the url http://x.x.x.x:57000/speedtest into)
and the Apple TV at x.x.x.x:57000

If you're testing the speed to your Channels DVR server,
the speed test is run between the device having the browser
(that you enter the url http://x.x.x.x:8089/speedtest into)
and the Server at x.x.x.x:8089

Here's a test between my Win10 PC and my Channels DVR Server (on Synology NAS)

Both direct wired to Gigabit switch

Both going through Tailscale

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.