Fast speed playback, aka Tivo Quick Mode

More likely a feature of the Channels client app but it would be great to have option for playback recording at at increased speed without chipmunk audio track similar to Tivo Quick Mode. Is something like this possible to add? Maybe allow the end user to specify the speed increase, 20%, 25%, 30%, etc.

https://explore.tivo.com/how-to/QuickMode

2 Likes

I miss this feature that was in Windows Media Center. I could watch sports programs I recorded in double time. Saved me a lot of time on the weekends playing catchup.

This would be a huge feature for me. I still use WMC to record tennis tournaments because I can do playback at fast speed (either 2nd or 3rd gear). That way, I can watch the score tick by and stop as soon as I see something interesting develop. I can't do that with Channels skip ahead because I can't see a fluid picture of what's going on.

+1 for a feature like this. Would love too watch some recordings at 1.5 speed!

Any chance this could be looked at in 2021?

My household would still really like this feature. If you consider the time savings, you can watch more recordings whether that be primetime shows, news or sports.

This feature is now available with YouTubeTV. Can we get this added to Channels DVR?

The Euro 2020 soccer tournament is the first time I have missed QuickMode since switching from TiVo to Channels, but it would be a really helpful feature when watching multiple DVR'd games per day.

This has been added in the latest tvOS/iOS beta.

The optional speeds are:

• 0.5x
  • 0.75x
  • 1x
  • 1.25x
  • 1.5x
  • 1.75x
  • 2x
6 Likes

what about FireTV and AndroidTV users? :frowning: We will see this feature added?

Eventually. Features are first developed for Apple devices, and then ported over to Android.

Based upon previous posts, it sounds like they are working on getting the Enhanced Library—and with it, Kids Mode—brought over to Android right now. Other features will probably come after that.

1 Like

OMG!!! TTL!!!
I'd add even more if I were an Apple user. Alas, I use FireTV and will have to patiently wait.

Is it difficult to add more than 2x? I don't remember how fast I scanned through watching tennis scores tick away on WMC, but it seems like it would be more than 2x. Maybe drop 1.25 and 1.75 and add higher speeds?

I am really enjoying the fast playback speed on my Apple tv. However, I only have one ATV, all my other TVs are either Firesticks and I have a Shield Pro as my server/ client at one TV. Any immediate plans to port yours feature to any of these other devices? Or else, I may have to go out and buy another Apple Tv or two, if i can find
them on sale, but I'd hate to have to do that if the playback speed is coming soon.

Only speed we used on WMC was 1.25x - also not sure why we'd need to remove a speed to add another.

Our use case was science shows like Nova speak really slow and 1.25 allowed it to be intelligible without twiddling our thumbs waiting for them to get to the point :slight_smile:
Also on AndroidTV/Shield and eagerly awaiting this feature's arrival!

Playback Speed options have been added on Android in the latest beta apk.

5 Likes

Audio does not change with speed. I tried 1.5 and 2.0 and the audio stays at 1.x. Is this the behavior. Is the speed only for video only.
Edit: The audio speed changed when I stop the video and restarted. Should it not have changed with video when the option is slected while playing.
To return the audio back to normal required me to have to force quit the app. This is on Nvida Shield.
Great Work by the way. I know there will be bugs.

How about if you turn off surround sound?

That has no effect. I honestly did try.

I just watched 3 episodes of Good eats (recorded via TVE) at 1.25x. Worked perfectly. I love fat playback. Im so glad to have this in android finally.

Please keep up good work. Now I'm waiting on up next for android.

Still having to go to to device apps and force close channels dvr to get the speed playback back to 1X, to return to live or playback new video. Also I think that the speed option should be disabled if watching live. When returning from watching a recording in fast mode then return to live viewing the speed does not turn off and the player is trying to play in the speed previously, causing erratic freezes.