Feature Request: Ability to set a buffer size

Yeah 128 gig but it only shows 121 usable ... I just inserted the usb Flash rebooted the FireStick 4K max and formatted internal storage ...

2 Likes

Yep, this is why I suggested that there should be some kind of compatability matrix type information here on the forum that details what does / doesn't work with all the various Android devices. I got laughed at though. The Shield works great, the MiBoxes didn't work. Of course, I had no way to know that until. I found that the Tivo 4k Streamer actually worked far better than the MiBoxes.

And then you see posts like this where people are expecting all functionality to work with low end devices and that's just not how it works.

Interesting, my FireStick 4K Max tells me to go blow if I put anything over 32 gig in it. Last time I tried was like 3 weeks ago, maybe there was an update that allows it now.

Well my Firestick 4K max might be a small device but it does play Dolby Vision and Atmos. I am pretty sure the appletv does not support Dolby Vison... and I never had a problem with it playing anything I throw at it. Great device for a mere $34.99

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K streaming device

1 Like

Record it

I do record it! This is what happens when I play a live event --in progress-- from the recording.

1 Like

I agree with you. Just select Record, problem solved. It does need to start up another tuner to do the recording.

I am testing HLS operation, as it might also be good for other purposes. I am testing it using Shield pro, Chromecast Google TV, Sony Google TV, Android Phone, and Firestick 4k Max devices. So far I am only having problems with the Firestick when I stop the player after long buffer times..

1 Like

When you start recording, it selects another tuner to do the recording. You will still be watching the current buffered stream, not the recording. You need to stop the buffered stream and play the recording. I know it seems strange, but this is the way it works.

I now use the Onn streaming devices instead of my Firestick 4K's when using Channels.
I have very few apps on the Onn's, mainly Channels, ESPN, and one browser, to keep the Client buffer a little bigger, about 15 min.
The one thing I and especially my lovely wife likes is the Channel Up/Down rocker switch on the Onn.
She/we change channels in the Favorites (a small list) without needing to go to the Guide and it rolls around when it hits bottom or top.
It also has a Change Input button, to switch to the Firestick, cable box, or ROKU input.
I have not had any problems with it.

Hmm... I think I'm watching the recording in these instances.

• I've set up DVR in advance to record the event.
  • I'm not watching when the event starts, but join late, and choose "watch recording"
  • I then attempt to "catch up" to real time by skipping through commercials and other "dead time."
  • After a few skips, the DVR freezes (and often --but not always-- the recording gets interrupted as well)
  • I eventually give up, and watch the event in "real time" having missed several minutes of action.

If the recording is getting interrupted then something is going wrong on your DVR. It sounds like you may be overwhelming your network and causing disruptions. Is the DVR wired to your router?

Duplicated app crash on two Firestick TV Max devices. Seems to happen everytime the channel is watched for more than 30 minutes. I can not duplicate the crash on a Sony Google TV, a Chromecast Google TV, or the Shield pro. I have sent the diagnostics. I do have these apps on the Firesticks moved to added USB storage. I am moving the Beta app back to internal storage to see if it has any bearing on the problem.

I never noticed that type of problem. But I will be testing Channels this afternoon, and I will try to duplicate your problem. It is too hot here in Texas for me to go outside, so as long as Texas can keep the electricity flowing, I will be inside testing Channels. Maybe I need to get another hobby.

After moving the app on the Firestick 4k Max back to internal storage, the app no longer crashes and restarts while using HLS after long buffer times. Not sure why it fixes the problem, but I am still doing testing to see if I am having some intermittent problems with navigating the scrub bar while using HLS.

In my experience it's the crappy USB on the device itself that causes the problems. The devices frequently unmount the drive for no reason, and programs installed on the drive frequently crash.

The only time it had ever been stable was when using an externally-powered USB hub rather than plugging the USB drive directly into the device.

I couldn't see anything in the logs that indicated an issue in the app, so it's certainly possible the issue was related to hardware.

I have been using a USB3 32GB flash drives on two of my Firestick 4k Max devices for at least 4 months, no problems at all using the released app without HLS. I have never unmounted the drives and the Firesticks are always running. Maybe once a month, I will need to reboot the Firesticks for various reasons. But the USB drives definitely have a problem using Channels with HLS enabled. I suspect it could be made to work with software, but it is not important to me. I will likely not ever use HLS on my Firesticks.

I have Flash drives on my sticks and do not have problems with them disconnecting ... I also have Plex and Channels installed on them and no crashes.

Edit so far this morning I have a 2 hour buffer and counting no problems. Rewinding to beginning and end of buffer is fast using 128GB thumb drive.

See what additional storage can do FireStick 4K ... buffer still going strong do not let the NAY sayers said that a Firestick cannot perform ... It is a lot cheaper to replace a Firestick then an AppleTV. Started at 09:40 AM still going at 3:12 PM.... This is Wireless connection to the DVR.

2 Likes