Feature Request- File Name

Any way we could be given the option to change how the file name is done?

It would be nice to move the date information to later in the naming and use periods as separators, like so:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine.S04E11.The Fugitive Pt 1 The Fugitive Pt 2.2017-01-01-2030.2017-01-01.mpg

Right now the way it’s named causes issues if you want to use something else (like Plex, Infuse, or MrMC) but I guess that’s not really an issue for Channels…

We tested with plex and didn’t notice issues. What kind of problems are you seeing?

The date is listed first so the files are easy to sort by creation date when browsing directories.

It keeps the show from being matched inside of plex. I would prefer a way to have that at the end with the show name being first.

Hmmm ok we will have to take another look. I thought since all the files were in a “Law and Order” folder that was enough for Plex. What folder did you add to your library?

I am using MCE Buddy to remove commercials

The DVR also has commercial detection built-in.

If you convert the recordings to mkv, you will no longer be able to play them via Channels.

I am just making a copy in plex that has no commercials. It is not being deleted from channels.

It seems to be reading the following as the show title

2017-01-02-1300 Quincy, M.E. 1980-03-20

instead of

Quincy, M.E.

Here is some log info

2017-01-03T13:30:41 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Trying to match nPVR/SiliconDust series showname -> 2017-01-02-1900 The New Celebrity Apprentice 2017-01-02 S15E01 In Here You Call Me Governor
2017-01-03T13:30:41 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Looking for Season/Episode information in text
2017-01-03T13:30:41 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Found Season/Episode information in text, Season:15, Episode:1
2017-01-03T13:30:41 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Successfully extracted nPVR/SiliconDust series filename metadata
2017-01-03T13:30:41 MCEBuddy.MetaData.VideoMetaData --> Video Tags extracted from file/name metadata ->
Title: 2017-01-02-1900 The New Celebrity Apprentice 2017-01-02
SubTitle: In Here You Call Me Governor
Description:
Network:
Network Affiliate:
Parental Rating:
Media Credits:
Genres:
Season: 15
Episode: 1
Banner:
Banner URL:
IMDB Id:
MovieDB Id:
TVDB Id:
Is Show Movie: False
Is Show Sports: False
OriginalBroadcastDateTime: 1899-12-31T18:00:00
RecordedDateTime: 1899-12-31T18:00:00
SeriesPremiereDate: 1899-12-31T18:00:00
CopyProtected: False
SageTV FileID:
SageTV MediaFileID:

Okay, so the issue is with MCE buddy and not Plex.

I’m not very familiar with MCE Buddy, but presumably you can update the file match filter to remove the date prefix? cc @DebbieFL

Do you have MCE configured to use SiliconDust matching? Maybe we can create a new configuration for Channels DVR to support our filenames.

I never configured that i just left it default

In the past I’ve only used MCEBuddy for comskip on Movies…no problems using the SD configuration, which replaces the Channels file (in Channels folder) and moves the original file to archive.

I will be glad to investigate further for Shows/Episodes, however I’m in the middle of an office move and won’t be able to help until next week.

1 Like

That would be awesome @DebbieFL I will continue to play around with it myself.

Any luck @DebbieFL? I have not had any.

Before applying MCEBuddy settings to produce mkv file, the file naming convention needs to be defined. I retain the original Channels naming convention within MCEBuddy.

Below is a screenshot of my Plex TV shows derived from Channels TV folder. I've not made any changes to filename, except 1 show to match (as guide provider didn't list properly):

To me, it appears that Channels naming convention is working properly in Plex. You mentioned that Channels wasn't providing proper file names for use with Plex...were you changing the filename in MCEBuddy? What does your Plex TV page look like for your (unmodified) shows.

@mavsfan815, in re reading your post, I do have another question…

Do you just want to remove commercials (easier & faster) or remove commercials and transcode to mkv?

I would like to do both. The problem is that mcebuddy does not read the file with the time stamp in front so I am having to manually rename every file before mcebuddy will start working. With plex dvr the files were named without the dates so they were automatically detected in mcebuddy. Channels DVR is far superior to Plex DVR but this file naming structure is making things difficult.

Now I understand the problem is with the file submission to MCEBuddy.

Do you have the paid version of MCEBuddy? It has a “special” SD configuration which does remove commercials, however doesn’t transcode to mkv. This is what I use for commercial free movies.

I should have some time later tonight or tomorrow to do some investigating and testing.

1 Like