I've arranged my channel order to be:

• Local Broadcast Channels
  • Sports Channels
  • News Channels
  • Home/Cooking/Garden
  • Outdoors (NGC, Animal Planet, etc)
  • Movies
  • Kids Channels

It would be nice to be able to add a "visual divider" between the "grouping" of channels to make rapid scrolling easier to identify where you are. Alternatively, being able to assign custom color for the grouping of channels would also work.

Thanks for considering.

1 Like

Not quite the answer you want to hear, but this already exists: Channel Collections.

Yes, you want them sequential and collated, but that is not how it works presently.

Another way to achieve this is by creating Custom Channels, and using the channel numbers to indicate categories.

There presently exist 2 different ways to do what you want: group channels by your own determined content/category rules. How many do there need to be?

Thanks. I actually have sorted the channels numerically to my preferred format. I created a custom M3u file that I then use to feed into my clients and hide all other sources. What I'd like would be to have a "divider" amongst my custom derived tuners.

Here's how I have it broken out currently:

Local Broadcast: Channels 1-5
Virtual Channels: Channels 6-10
Sports: 10-28
Outdoors/Home/Travel: 38-49
News/Weatehr: 60-65
Movies: 80-97
Multi Purpose (USA, FX, BBC, Lifetime, OWN, etc): 100-117
Kids: 130-134

So I've achieved the sorting I wanted, having a way to "segment" the channels either using a color differentiator or a "blank channel" type of divider between my pre-determined category of channels in the guide and would be beneficial from an end user perspective. I realize my solution may be a single use case and not currently worth the Devs time to invest in, but you never know unless you ask. :wink:

I'll take a deeper look into Custom Channels to see if there's a way to use that instead of my current solution.

Create a channel called "Broadcast", don't give it guide data, and make it the first channel in your broadcast group. Do the same for the others, and you'll have a single long uninterrupted cell in the guide before each of your "categories".

From my HDHR I have a few channels in the 5000 range that are "Unknown".
I use this to separate groups of channels in my Channel Collections as discussed here.

Won't the single long uninterrupted cell actually be divided into 1 hour blocks??
If there is a way to force this to be 1 long uninterrupted cell please tell me how, that wold be better.
Thanks.
And yes, a different Color for the long cell would be most welcome, I vote for that.

I had forgotten about that change. Some creative scripting could generate XMLTV files with very long program guide blocks.

Yes it would be nice to have a "Dummy" XMLTV of some kind that was long duration, 24 hours,
AND have a "Color" assigned to the Dummy Guide block with no Text like "Broadcast".....
OR... you could have multiple Dummy Guides with each having a different Text or blank, and the same or a different Color.

There are settings to avoid this. Check the Custom Channels docs.

Thanks, I'll play with this, How about a Color choice, a limited list, Pale: red, blue, green.
tvc-guide-placeholders="86400"
tvc-guide-placeholders-color="x" where x is: R,B,G for light red blue green color.

Automatic Placeholders

When your custom channel has no guide data, Channels will create airings for your channel. This way you can record them. It will even create special titles, series IDs, and program IDs based on the time slot so that you can make a Series Pass for them. By default it creates them with 1 hour durations. But you can control this yourself by providing their duration in seconds.

• tvc-guide-placeholders: Duration of the placeholder. comma delimited. example (2 hours): "7200"

You can set the value to "false" to tell Channels to not make any placeholder airings at all. Setting the value to 24 hours or longer ("86400") will create 24 hour airings, but will drop the extra titles it creates for these airings.

I have set up dividers in a Channel Collection that says "Alpha Seq below" and "Sports below".
I am using a m3u since it is a part of Custom Channels as a "Channel".
The HTTPS for the m3u is a Beach cam m3u.
Looks fine in the Guide see below.
When using Channel Up/Down to channel surf when it gets to this divider it shows the Beach cam!! Of course.
How can I just show a still image or Words?
I could give an invalid m3u but that would show Connection lost or something.
Thanks for any ideas.

#EXTINF:-1 channel-id="Alpha" channel-number="9002" tvc-guide-genres="" tvc-guide-tags="" tvc-guide-placeholders="86400" tvg-logo=" " tvg-name="Alpha" tvc-guide-title="--- Alpha Seq below ---↓" tvc-guide-description="Alpha" tvc-guide-art=" ",Alpha
https://5b8462eb3469a.streamlock.net:444/beachmerch1/beachmerch1.stream/chunklist_w783360193.m3u8