Feature Request : Guide Size

Even with a 50" TV mounted on the wall in our bedroom, our eyes are not what they used to be and the guide size makes it hard to read. Any chance we can add a feature where we can set the guide size (currently 7 rows, I'd like to limit to 4-5 which would provide for larger font)?

TIA

5 Likes

Great idea. Maybe a large 4-5 rows, medium 7 rows and small 9 rows.

1 Like

Been asked many times, unfortunately Channels doesn't think it's important.

Maybe @tobycth3 who does the fantastic custom coloured themes could look at this and see how possible it is to play with guide text sizes and create a custom version that makes a larger guide?

@timwallis88

Decompile the apk and play with these files

1 Like

Thanks, I think I have the skill to play with the xml files from my university days, I'll find a de-compiler, re-compiler when I'm home at my computer later.

The challenge will be working out all the knock-on effects of playing with one setting in one file, is there a corresponding element that needs playing with in another file, I guess I'll find that out when I open them up and start to understand how all the elements of the guide go together.

Apk easy tools works well for decompile, recompile, signing, etc

I use notepad++ to edit xml, but oxygen xml is better, but not free. Has a trial though.

Sorry, you have exceeded my 50 Year old brain at this point. :frowning:

Before I start with this,

What device do you watch Channels on?

If it’s an Apple TV, I won’t be able to help.

If it’s an Amazon or Google device, I can have a go at modifying the app for you, and there’s a chance I can edit it to get a bigger guide, and if successful I can then talk you through how to install the modified version of the app.

On Apple TV, you can try this https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/tv/atvb4dc7fb7e/tvos

I use Nvidia Shield boxes for TV Clients.

ok, I'll have a crack at seeing what I can do for you.

Great Idea. My mom is olde and cannot read it from across the room. My wife and I have the same problem in our bedroom. Bigger text and bigger logo's designating the channels.

Unfortunately this seems to be a bit beyond me, I’ll keep trying with the beta file I have managed to decompile, but no promises.

You may have better luck with Android Studio instead of manually editing xml files, but maybe you already are, idk how you are doing things, but you can decompile it with APK Easy Tools then load up the decompiled files into Android Studio and get to a visual layout editor. I have been unable to do so with my aging PC (needs CPU virtualization support).

1 Like

I’ll have a go at that in the morning, I’ve just been trying to edit the xml files directly, recompile and hope for the best.
My laptop does the virtualisation, I run android Channels through Bluestacks, an android emulator, so will hopefully have some luck with android studio.

Bumping tot he top as I think this really should be considered given the requests of several members who pay for this otherwise excellent platform.

I’m lost, trying to do this, there are knock on effects from editing things which are too much for me to keep track off.

Thanks, wasn't looking for work around when I bumped, really looking for the devs to consider adding this as a standard option in the apps. Just because they have good eye sight doesn't mean the rest of us do. :wink:

If a solution can be found that isn't too difficult, I'll try it, but most of what you guys were talking about was over my head.