Feature Request: Home "multi-room" viewing

Back in the TiVo days, I used the multi-room DVR sharing heavily. This would allow:

• Channels to understand there were other Channels DVRs on the local sub-net and on the same account.
  • Allow some sort of browsing and playback of the content in some authenticated way (ssh psk? idk). Not sure what you'd really need to require.
  • Maybe this could even be handled in just the Channels player client without changing anything on the DVR side?

I used the heck out of this feature in the TiVo days as it allowed my family members to load up their DVRs with their content, which is often nothing anyone else would watch) and do their own thing - fill up and manage their own device. But it still allowed the other to view something the other would have on any other "player" in any other room.

This also keeps the DVR hardware device cost down as you don't need a powerful machine with TBs of storage to support a family, you can use a much less expensive box if it is typically supporting a single family member and they can easily browse other boxes for different content.

The other benefit is a sort of household high-availability, if one of the ChannelsDVRs croaked or wasn't visible, the others were there. Yeah, it happened in the TiVo world and with Channels too - unpredictable things happen in a household.

I understand you guys have a thing to avoid sharing across users outside the home, but TiVo figured it out at least I think they did. Maybe Channels can figure out something similar without individual user accounts and sharing locally across DVRs

I would sure like to see some relatively seamless way to do this locally.

1 Like

Have you looked at Collections?

I have different collections of shows for my wife, my self and joint viewing.

Thanks, but its probably not the best option for me to make use of independent DVRs on the home subnet.

I'd expect no one in my household is going to manage the DVRs through the browser (and I don't want to be their admin either) and that is needed to curate collections, but it is a nice feature anyway.

Collections doesn't really do anything for the stored content.

While what you are doing, running multiple DVRs at home, is doable, it’s not how Channels was designed, hence the friction you’re running in to.

1 Like

Since the DVRs broadcast Bonjour on the subnet, allowing the clients to see them all and pick from a list gets you about 99% of the multi functionality.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.