Feature Request: LOCAST Support

New service:

http://locast.org

Free retransmission streaming of local over the air broadcast channels in a few limited markets.
IOS, TvOS, Roku, Web Browser, etc. platform support.

Not like the failed "Aereo" service in that this is a "not for profit" venture. "Donation-Ware"

Relies on an explicit provision in copyright law that gives non-profits retransmisson rights to over-the-air signals:

17 USC 111(a): "Certain Exempted. The secondary transmission of a performance or display of a work embodied in a primary transmission is not an infringement of copyright if... the secondary transmission is not made by a cable system but is made by a governmental body, or other nonprofit organization, without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage, and without charge to the recipients of the secondary transmission other than assessments necessary to defray the actual and reasonable costs of maintaining and operating the secondary transmission service."

If this service spreads obtaining "locals" in fringe areas will be much easier.

It's unclear if locast will survive in the long term.

The real reason Aereo was shut down was recording content. Not a good idea for Channels to get involved

The real reason Aereo was shut down was recording content. Not a good idea for Channels to get involved

Not quite. Aereo lost because it was too much like a cable company. Locast is using a completely different legal argument. I don't see how Channels could be exposed to any liability by adding support to recording Locast streams. The bigger issue is whether it's worth the effort and time to implement.

There are some issues with their implementation, stream quality & the donation nag screens. I'm sure those could all be overcome, but it might not be worthwhile until it's a little more clear if Locast will still exist long-term.

We have added experimental locast support to the latest dvr pre-release build.

2 Likes

Great ! I'll give it a try. Locast is not going down anytime soon. Their counterclaims are worth a read.

Seems to be working well. Too bad the channel numbers are all in 7000s instead of being the actual broadcast channels.

The primary streams seem to be 720p, and secondary channels seem to be 480p. Audio is stereo AAC, but at least the closed captions work.

I'm not sure if the login with donation is keeping the donation ads away, but this is great work. Thanks so much, Channels team!

Having issues with the Guide for Locast. When I choose guide provider (USA-OTA60659). Guide does not populate and does not show in the Channels guide. Also every time i go back to the setting for sources the Locast resets to “Pick Guide Provider”. I search zip code then add provider then save. But every-time i leave the page or reload the Locast asks for Guide provider again.

I have LOCAST but when I tried to add it with the latest BETA i get the following:

Location not available

I got this before being able to enter my credentials.

I have not been using it much since I want to use Channels and I do have an antenna. But will test their app again to make sure still good.

My Channels instance needed to restart for the Locast channels to have their guide information populated.

It took a few tries and different web browsers to get a location request from the browser when attempting to add Locast. Locast does a geo-IP lookup to déterminé if you are in one of their supported broadcast markets.

Choosing a guide provider for locast is not required. Please screenshot what you're seeing and email it to [email protected]

I have no problem using my iMac to watch locast.org from my browser. And my Apple TV has no problem. I have not used it in months so when I first tried it said I need to verify my email address which I did and then no problem. My location is Los Angeles when you first connect.

I restarted my Channels DVR (running on Synology DS918+) but that did not help. There is nothing in the LOG. It is pretty instant that I get "Location not available" error.

I did not reboot my DS1019+ which is where I run a second copy of Channels and I get the same error.

Is there anything else I can do? Also, I am using the FREE Version without donation until it works well with Channels.

A restart did it. All is working good now. Thank you.

"Location not available" means your browser is blocking location access. Check your browser settings or try a different browser.

Guide data issues with locast is fixed in the latest build.

Just tried the new build and guide is working fine now. Was also having issues with location not available but managed to add Locast by going to my.channelsdvr.net and adding it as a source through there.

1 Like

@tmm1 - Could you help me with that? I am using Synology DS918+ and DS1019+ and I believe Channels (you) installed the Chrome browser (Linux) that is being used on the DS?????. Not sure how I would even test it. Is there a setting on the Synology I could check that would block location services?

Again, on my iMac and Apple TV's I have no problem.

The browser I'm talking about is the one on your local device which you're using to access the DVR web UI.

Which browser were you using?