Feature Request: Notify when there is a tuner conflict

That does not solve the problem .... Why can't Channels DVR if it has a device with 4 tuners allocated to it ... and I add a pass for the same time frame when all 4 tuners will be in use ,,, Why can't channels DVR simply alert me to this.... The way it is now you think your pass will record when in fact it will not. If it alerts me I can make a smart decision and maybe reset priority of passes.

Channels DVR AI is not that smart.

So I forgot that sdust used to have the rtp/udp library access which is basically irrelevant since neither tcp nor udp will provide exclusive access to the tuners.
Personally, it doesn't bother me as much as it did originally except when I forget to check the schedule.

I always made sure to set the priority of my passes when I created them. But after I added another 4 channel tuner, I just don't ever have any conflicts. I would agree some conflict indication would be nice, but I think my solution is better.

common. no kid is going to tie up your old antiquated ota/cable tuner, be realistic. the kids in your house must be the only kids on earth that will channel surf or actually take up their time to sit and use one of your tuners. do they also yell at you for tying up the phone line?

dad, i cant watch howdy doody! someone is taking up a tuner!!!

With that said, for those of you who need to record EVERYTHING, some kind of notification is important, I would just buy more tuners since they are cheap, But this thread is full of old people's problems :grinning:

p.s. im in my mid 40's, so im middle aged so calm down :wink:

1 Like

I doubt there is a such a thing as DVR AI. The DVR server simply tries to record when the time comes and hopes for the best regarding tuner's availability. Providing the feature you are asking for is just not viable from the company perspective if a solution is just $200 away and use cases are rare. As much as I like to complain about the software this is where I am willing to give them a pass.
Keep in mind the same complaints could be directed at Silicon Dust. Why doesn't HDHR device provide more than 4 streams if some of them come from the same physical channel? Because of the limits of the physical network interface of 100Mbps?

I guess I am used to a DVR that checks 14 days in advance for conflicts and if it sees any it notifies you and gives you different options on how to resolve it... and if it cannot resolve it right away it tries again on the next days EPG update and so on...

Also if I am viewing Livetv and it needs the tuner to record a show it will notify me 5 minutes in advance and I have the option to keep watching LiveTV or give up the tuner.

Also if space is running out it will delete shows that have been watched and not archived to record new shows..... but it will also notify me of low space.

I consider the above to be AI.

I am just having a debate at the moment with myself if Channels DVR is right for me as I do not use any other features. I have been using it for over 2 years but I have not seen any improvement to the DVR other than features I do not use.

This would be a useful feature. ChannelsDVR can assume (with a warning and a checkbox to disable) or provide a checkbox to assert that the tuners have no other users. It shouldn’t be hard to assume single use and detect if other schedulers are using the tuners and provide user feedback. This is not a complicated problem.

That's not a good answer for me. I live in a fringe area where getting a signal good enough for the four tuners inside a SD tuner box was hard. I spent a lot of money on a rooftop antenna and an amplifier to get a reliable signal for all four tuners inside the SD tuner box. Splitting the signal externally again to feed another SD tuner box with four internal tuners won't work for me.

I get there are a lot of caveats, but most people have just one application accessing the tuners in the SD tuner box. Even if not as has been pointed out before Channels still knows if it has more than four OTA shows scheduled at the same time. They implicitly do it now if you look at the guide and see which shows are scheduled to be recorded. It's not that hard in terms of software, everybody else can handle that situation.

You should know there are two types of antenna amps - pre-amps and distribution amps:

Hope this helps somebody.

Purchasing additional hardware is unsatisfactory when a software solution is possible. This feature would provide an augmented view of the ChannelsDVR internal scheduler that 90 percent of users would enjoy. The ChannelsDVR scheduler can indicate if other schedulers have been detected and only a minority of users would ever experience this. Most users have only ChannelsDVR using the tuners. I would purchase additional tuners to give ChannelsDVR exclusive use if needed.

Thanks for the info. I have a pre-amp which was needed to get a decent signal for one SD tuner box, I don't know if adding a distribution amp for a second SD tuner box downstream from that would work.

Certainly if nothing else I could add a second rooftop antenna and pre-amp for a second SD tuner box. But at some point all the dollars for extra hardware is no longer a solution.

Check your signal level at the HDHR. adding a splitter is only going to cost you 3.5dB. You can add one to your current setup to see what it would mean signal wise. Just hook it up inline with nothing on the second leg of the 2-way (just for a test). If all is good then you wouldnt need an additional drop amp.

Ive got 3 HDHR's for a total of 8 tuners and tuner conflicts dont concern me at all. I read this thread I cannot relate at all :slightly_smiling_face:

Lol, that's crazy. What's your current preamp? I am a big fan of KT-700 TV Booster from Kitz Technologies.

Not exactly an alert, but a good tool to use to look for tuner usage:

I use it occasionally to view the scheduling. You can view all recordings or filter for HDHomeRun (this would show a view where you could spot # of tuners required at any time in the upcoming schedule.

I also like this feature request and would very much appreciate the software having the ability to notify a user if there is some sort of tuner conflict. Even if it didn't provide specific aids in how to resolve it, a simple notification that the software has run out of available tuners would be useful and helpful to the user.

An alert of any kind would just add to the current greatness of the software, and would not at all detract from it.

As everyone replies to this thread, I do hope they are understanding the default situation, yes? That every client that tunes for a live session reduces the number of tuners by one?

So you have a 4-tuner HDHR device, but you have 3 TVs with clients. But 2 of your TVs are watching content live. However, you appreciate the amazing fast tuning available via Channels' apps, so you have not enabled tuner sharing.

Now, when recordings are ready to start, the DVR sees there are 3 programs set to record. But, because of the nature of HDHR tuners and their HTTP API, it doesn't know that 2 tuners are unavailable until it tries to record that 3 rd program.

End result: do you want the best TV viewing experience, or a great recording experience? Because at the moment technology dictates only one of those is possible. The defaults that Channels sets is for the best live viewing experience. If your primary goal is recording, perhaps other software would suit you better.

Hello, friend!

I would still like to see this added to the capabilities of the software, if/when time permits for the developers. I would prefer not to be ousted from the software based on a forum user due to a simple feature request if that is an option here at Channels DVR forum. Thank you developers for your consideration.

It is a DVR so I would like the best recording experience ... so you are saying that I should look elsewhere and not ask for features ? You like telling people what they need or should but you are not a Channels DVR developer.

As you say, we all understand the dynamics of using tuners for recording and live viewing. It's no different then when I was using TiVo or DirecTV DVRs. Neither of these could possibly know when I wanted to also watch a program live when it came time to record, but I always understood the tradeoffs and managed it.

But in fact I rarely watch a program live, I like recording them so I can skip past the commercials. Many other people are the same as well.

I really don't understand your attitude in this thread about something which is really fairly simple to do. It's not rocket science; everybody else has figured it out. If the developers don't want to handle the possibility of multiple apps accessing the tuner then they could provide an user-set flag for the server to know it has sole use of the tuner and can tell the user about scheduling conflicts. But this should not require customers to spend at least another $200 to fix.

1 Like

It's a CM-7777HD that I got from Channel Master five years ago.

But to be honest I'm old and my balance is not so great. I don't go up on the roof anymore and I have to pay extra to have somebody do it. That's part of the issue for me.

The signal is marginal, though most of the time I get a good enough signal. But for example, I regularly lose a couple of network channels during the dead of winter.