[Feature Request] PBS Live stream

I can confirm it's a free, live stream of my local PBS station. I was actually able to view 2 different stations that serve my area by changing my "Local Station" in the upper-right corner of the page. I am not a subscriber, and the only thing the page asks for is location access.

2 Likes

Well, it must be only in select markets (like locast)
as it does not give me any options to watch tv online, and i did give it location access and selected my local PBS station.
this is what comes up with your link.

I can see my live stream as well.

@tmm1 Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you guys add this to Channels :smiley:

I guess it's not be available in your area. They stated that they will be adding stations as time goes on.

can you folks that have the online stream, compare it to the actual OTA via antenna channel, and confirm it is identical? (some online tv station feeds air different programs than the OTA)

Also, how is quality? can you determine resolution on bitrate for video and audio?

The only other source of PBS local channels would be via locast....which is terrible low quality stream.

1 Like

The full list of supported stations is here

1 Like

It's also confusing, as the PBS station it presents as my local is PBS SoCal | KCET. The problem is that that is 2 different stations: PBS SoCal is KOCE (50.1), and KCET is 28.1; both carry PBS programming, but the programming is different.

Same feed. The quality is not as good as OTA. But it’s fine No Apple TV support. I’m watching on my IPad

Ah the link provided answered part of my question.

Does my local station's live stream match what's airing on their television broadcast? How can I see the program schedule for my PBS station's live stream?

Your local station's live stream may not always match what's airing on their broadcast. Online schedules are currently not available for the PBS.org live stream, but we hope to offer this feature in an upcoming update.

__
So...if there is no online schedule available, I would think that makes it not possible to add to Channels, unless channels uses the OTA guide data source, that just may not be accurate all the time.

Available as channel 6004 in the new pre-release.

3 Likes

What pre-release update is this?

Works great! Thanks for always being on top of things!

How are you picking which area's feed to use in the pre-release?

Based on whatever shows up on the pbs site. If there's multiple in your area, you will see 6005 as well.

1 Like

I’m getting 6007 WLVT out of PA but I’m in NYC.
It’s giving the error: TVE: Could not fetch playlist: : Get "": unsupported protocol scheme ""

Just an FYI

Also, might want to include pbs in this:

Local Networks via TV Everywhere

Some major metropolitan area offer access to NBC, ABC and FOX stations via TV Everywhere

Thanks, works great here. 'Tunes quickly' compared to other TVE channels.

Um....under what TVE source woudl this show up under?
I have Philo and Xfinity...and xfinity only one that local networks, NBC and FOx.
Both TVE sources show PBS Kids. and it works fine.

Even if it is not offered in my area, specifically, if they added it as a tve channel, should i see it in the list of "not supported, or whatever message channel next to the channel place holder number, like i see for all the other channels that do not work for whatver given reason, no offered, etc.?

For me it's

Also see

Does the Channels DVR TVE headless chrome browser use this to access the PBS stream and if so, is it also used for other TVE websites to provide "Location Sharing" to determine where the browser is located?