Feature Request: “Skip” Commercial Detection by Channel#/Pass

Multiple posts over the last few months indicate a desire to be able to setup passes with “Skip” Com Detection either by show or by channel.

My preference is by channel (PBS, TCM, etc.) as we record a lot of 2-3 episode shows on PBS and waiting for the first recording to be made to then modify is a hassle. TCM has a lot of old movies we record, and there is currently no way to set “Skip” for one-offs at all.

If this is not of interest to developers...can I at least modify my comskip.ini to skip those channels for commercial detection?

It is possible to do this per show:

Thanks for responding. I already do that but as per my original post there is no way to stop or skip the process for one offs (i.e., Movies).

1 Like

Also the same show is sometimes on multiple channels, not all of which have commercials. Would love a global channel disable. For example, all the UK BBC channels could even be hard coded not to commercial detect as they never have any.

If Channels DVR was changed so that it added the channel# to the recorded filename it would probably be easier to determine if comskip should be run on the file based on its filename and a list of comskip excluded channels that a user provides that maybe gets stored in settings?

Moonshiners S04E10 2014-09-09 Shine Jacked 2019-07-02-0700 750-DSCHDP.mpg
or
Moonshiners S04E10 2014-09-09 Shine Jacked 750-DSCHDP 2019-07-02-0700.mpg
or

Sounds easy, but not sure how hard that would be to implement or if it would break other things that depend on the format of the filename.

Yeah, I agree with this. As you can tell Channels to skip commercial detection on a show, but only once it's been recorded (and not deleted yet). So if you have a show that regularly doesn't get detected reliably, you have to wait for it to get recorded again (with poor detection), and then disable the detection prior to deleting it.

It would be nice to be able to do this right in the pass. Also to disable it for a particular channel that is regularly not that great at detection.

Any plans on updated the Comskip version? I'm a paid customer of theirs and could update it manually, but since my DVR is on a Shield, it would consistently get overwritten with your older version (with Windows I could create a scheduled task to fix this).