Feature Request - Steam Deck (SteamOS / Linux) App

I like to add to the list for a SteamOS App as the Web does not work great on the steam deck for me and this could be a great for taking some recorded media offline when traveling.

We don't have any plans to write new apps

1 Like

Hi,
I've found a bit of a work around by installing Kodi from the Discover software store and adding the official addon from here, there is an addon in the kodi repository but it kept crashing kodi on the deck.

It works really well with my HDhomerun quattro and even automatically sets up paths to the tuner and recordings. Next up will be using it at my brothers on his network and seeing if it works or looking at accessing via wireguard VPN if need be.

Actually hang fire on that, the channels addon goes missing sometimes, I'm now working on doing it with Bottles running the PC version of Kodi, seems to work but I can't get Kodi to list as installed and I'm having to browse to the .exe to run it :thinking:

As a happy new Steam Deck OLED owner I was curious too. I’ve learned you can dual boot Windows on this device and use the Android emulator — but this Waydroid tutorial looks good too. Perhaps then the Channels client APK could run? I’ll have to give this a try when I get home.

1 Like

I followed the instructions to install Waydroid, tinkered with Channels' playback settings a bit, and got live TV and recordings streaming on the Steam Deck. Pretty nifty:

1 Like

Some notes on this. It's been an interesting exercise. Video playback in Channels isn't great, it can get a little choppy, perhaps some more settings tweaks are in order. But, until this Channels client also supports offline downloads, it'll be of limited use to me anyway. My iPad is a far better-suited device for watching media.

I still love experimenting with the Steam Deck and seeing how far the hardware can go. It's amazingly flexible, my favorite gadget purchase this year.

Note that this script I linked above installs a shortcut that launches LineageOS, Android 11, masquerading the Steam Deck as a Pixel 5 phone. Sideloading Android apps works fine, but you can also log into the Google Play Store, and install any compatible app or game very easily too.

If you do this, of course take your Google security seriously, and log out when you're done, especially if you don't have a PIN enabled on your Steam Deck. No one expects their gaming console to get stolen, but it happens, and you certainly don't want an unlocked device that's logged into your Google account being in the hands of a thief.

It's my favorite in the last decade.

It's refreshing to buy a tech gadget and like....actually be able to do whatever I want. Being treated like an adult is great!

1 Like

@Fofer - you are the king of random client hardware. Someone should have you on a sales force!