Feature suggestion: background tuner

Don’t know whether this is possible with how the DVR holds or releases tuners, but one of the features of Windows Media Center that I enjoyed was the fact that I could leave an extender tuned to a particular channel (in my case, an Xbox 360 which was on 24/7 in WMC mode) and it would always keep whatever was in the live buffer of that channel for the duration of the buffer (60 minutes, I think, on my old setup). I could pause a live sporting event, switch over to Plex on my Shield, watch something, and then come back to the sporting event with a bit of buffer built up. Or I could just leave it tuned to ESPN during the day, go to work and then come back in the evening and I could rewind Sportscenter or whatever was on.

Yeah, I know what you’re going to say - just record the stupid game and then flip over and do whatever and come back to the recording. Well, this was easy inside of WMC when I could just hit the record button on my remote, but in Channels it requires a trip to the PC, grab a tablet, whatever. We’re not there yet, I get it. I just wonder if it’s even a thing you can do - constantly leave a channel tuned, leave the app and do whatever else on your Apple TV or Shield, and then return to Channels with that tuner still tuned to that channel and some buffer built up.