Flickering with TiVo Stream 4K

I'm seeing intermittent flickering of video. I have TiVo Stream 4Ks and Channels DVR running on Synology DS218+. I have the Channels TV client set to hardware decoding. Any ideas?
Thanks

This is apparently a known issue with this device?

The TiVo PM said they're looking into it:

One of the TVs that was flickering is a 6+ yr old HD TV. I set the video resolution on the Tivo Stream 4K to 720p/60Hz. Flickering stopped, and picture looks good (its a 32i nch TV).

1 Like

Apparently the auto feature for the TS4k doesn't work well. My projector is 720 yet it was set at 1080. Manually changed to 720/60 and the Pic improved. Haven't noticed flickering yet. Good to know it wasn't the projector.

1 Like

Not sure if this is a Tivo thing, or Android TV thing.
The tivo i connected to a 720p tv, and it did use 1080 by default....so did my Nvidia Shield.
It may be detecting the devices maximum supported resolution, and choosing that over its native panel resolution.

If it's with the Shield too, then it's probably an Android TV thing. Considering the number of people using 720p is fairly low, it's probably not much of a seen issue. For me, I did a makeshift setup in the living room with my work projector and a 100" screen for peloton and les Mills workouts. Might end up upgrading to a cheap 1080 as I end up watching it more than my 55" TV in there.

when i first connect my pc to my older living room tv a Vizio, it first defaulted to mirror mode, and sent a 4K signal to the 1080p tv(because the internal screen of the laptop is 4K)....which it did display and worked ok. but, u can tell the TV is downscaling and the image quality is poor, especially text. manually changing the pc to extend mode, then set the tv to 1080p and it look as it should.

Point is, most tvs will display higher than its raw panels native resolution. It all is dependent on what chip the tv uses and if the brand/model is coded to allow above native signals, or not. If not, it will just show its 'Input not supported" screen. How well it looks, will depend on how good the downscaller in the tv hardware is. But, u always want to use the panels native resolution for best quailty.