Flow control?

Getting this error..

Ethernet Flow Control is an outdated technology that causes communication problems between the DVR and HDHomeRun, resulting in corrupted recordings.

1. Find the Channels DVR icon in the Windows System Tray
  2. Right click the system tray icon
  3. Click Fix Ethernet Settings in the menu
  4. Click Yes in the User Access Control dialog

Problem is that I don't have a HDHomeRun and icon doesn't show in my Windows System Tray

You can fix it manually.

Thanks, that cleared the error

Realy? never heard that Flow control is outdated and should be disabled....and i am a frequent on a big name networking form site, that often reviews consumer and enterprise network hardware. I don't even see any posts about such an issue with HDHR on Silicon Dusts form (their search feature is not that good though)

Myself and the many fellow techy folks i contact with, have never had any issues or reason to tell people to disable Flow Control. Never had to adjust this default setting that is enabled on 99% of Etherent adapters and systems out there.

Must be a windows paired with certain NIC adapters/switches thing?
I had a Prime, and a Windows machine used for my media server for several years, never heard of or seen this specific oddity/bug come up. It is rather fascinating to me.
But I use Linux now. which has different adapter options and does not seem to have a Flow Control option.

See link in OP: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-features/30212-when-flow-control-is-not-a-good-thing

I can personally vouch that it caused problems for me on WMC. Besides disabling it, I also eventually ended up setting the NIC speed of the WMC PC to match the Xbox 360 I used to view.

1 Like

I also had issues way back in the day of WMC and flow control was the known culprit. I’ve had it disabled on my HTPC for years.

1 Like

Well, seems to be a rare and specific scenario anomaly.
I Flow Control enabled even with 10Gig NICs, never had an issue like that reported in that OLD SNB article (that is from 2007 btw)
I woudl think if Flow Control is truly depreciated, not optimal to be using any more, it would be disabled by default by the manufacture drivers and/or the OS.