Food Network Commercial Detection

I have "Live Commercial Detection" turned off. But for some reason ever since this feature was introduced anything I record on the Food Network will do live commercial detection. It does it surprisingly well :slight_smile: so not complaining. That's the only channel that does this while recording is in progress with the feature turned off - at least with my channel selections. Is this a bug? Thanks!

It seems like it's the same thing, but it's actually different. The live detection uses Comskip, just like regular commercial detection. However, the Food Network streams—from your description I assume you're talking about the TVE feed and not a cable feed—uses the smart detection, which tracks commercials based upon stream changes.

(If you check the logs, you will see that the entry at the end of the recordings on Food will be prefixed with ADS, while channels recorded without smart detection will have DVR as the entry type, when the commercial detection stats are given.)

For more information, see this thread:

Interesting, thanks! So, you are correct, it is just for TVE. So it would be this way for all TVE recordings? I don’t record much from TVE. Appreciate the info!

No, just some channels. I don’t think a list exists that use it. Pretty sure all the discovery owned channels use smart detection.

If the stream is compatible (TVE and M3U Custom Channel), the "New Smart Commercial Detection" will be used automatically.

Unless it's a TVE channel that's internally black-listed (known as not working right) in Channels DVR (no listings published). There are some M3U sources that are black-listed, but again there's no listing published.

If you have an issue with a source/channel, the devs will take a look at it and either fix it, or black-list it.