For those waiting for the HDHR Prime 6

I see Comcast is transmitting in 4K no way a 100 MB nic can handle that.

Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 2:30 PM ET: Virginia Tech at Notre Dame (NBC) - 4K SDR / 4K HDR
Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 7:00 PM ET: Northwestern at Indiana (FS1) - 4K HDR
Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 7:00PM ET: Mississippi at Auburn (ESPN) - 4K SDR
Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 2:30 PM ET: Navy at Notre Dame (NBC) - 4K SDR / 4K HDR
Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 2:30 PM ET: Boston College at Notre Dame (NBC) - 4K SDR / HDR

Very little of what they do has made sense over the last few years.

THIS is why I feel TVE is the answer and why I believe Channels did the right think to pursue it. However, if we start loosing more of the TVE (like PS VUE which was the best) then it could be a problem. I will enjoy it as long as it is available.

Idle speculation: My guess is that most -- maybe even all -- cable systems still using MPEG-2 for high-definition channels are saving bandwidth by using variable bitrate compression for channels that are multiplexed together. I think it's extremely unlikely that someone is going to be recording 6 programs at once, and all 6 will reach their peak bitrate simultaneously, and this will be sustained for long enough to overflow the HDHomeRun's memory buffer.

My best guess is that the system-on-a-chip that SD plans to use in the Prime6 happens to provide a built-in Fast Ethernet NIC. If dropping Gigabit Ethernet saves SD a few bucks (and, even more crucially, saves them from depending on an additional chipset that might cease production and kill Prime again), then it seems like it's a reasonable trade-off.

I mean I like the concept of TVE... But TVE seems like it’s mostly in 720p? I’m new to all this, but that seems to be what im Mostly seeing with directv and Hulu live (the only two I’ve seen to be fair)? Looks great on my 42” 720p plasma, but very inconsistent on my 65” 4k led. Is there higher resolution TVE from other providers?

Not sure what you mean by other "providers". All of the TVE Channels come from the Channels Web Site. So, if you were watching a channel and your credentials were from Hulu Live the stream of the channel comes from the exact same place as if you were using your DIRECTV Credentials to get it.

If the channels stream is improved it would be improved for everyone since it comes from the exact same place.

Are you saying TVE is exclusive to channels?

By other providers, I had meant Fios, xfinity, etc.

If you watch TBS via TVE, the stream comes from TBS.com. So it doesn't matter who your provider is. The video is coming from the network itself. The network streams differ by website. Some are 1080p and others are 720p

1 Like

TVE channels are also all 2-channel to my knowledge so no surround sound.