Force new stream for recording

For those of us who use add-on tools such as ADBTuner along with media providers that have a time limit on an individual viewing session before the dreaded "are you still there?" prompt appears, it would be fantastic if there was an option to force a given recording to start up a new stream rather than sharing an existing one. This would help immensely with recording marathon sessions, back-to-back football games, and the like. Bonus points if such a feature could be incorporated into a series pass....super bonus if that could further be limited to chosen channels (ie provide an interface to exclude OTA and TVE channels from the behavior if desired, but allow ADBTuner and similar sources to still utilize it in a series pass).

Im trying to understand this one. Channels handles sharing an m3u stream perfectly. If there are overlapping recordings on the same channel channels knows how to handle that. Im struggling to understand the value of having seperate streams.

had the Same Problem with XFINITY Stream where during a marathon it would get the are "you still watching" So after a while it would just record the guide... What I did was set -10 second padding in the front and back of the Pass that uses ADBTUNER. That way the stream ends before the other one starts.... as these Channels tend to have previews in the front and back of the shows.

10 seconds after and 10 seconds before

The reason is that if it keeps recording on the same Channel for example marathons ... You will get the are you still watching prompt and all recordings after that are messed up ... In my case XFINITY has a 5 hour Viewing limit before you get the prompt. But if you start a new stream the countdown starts over.

1 Like

Honestly, this sounds like a job for the middleware software, not Channels.

I'ms ure you could send an ADB command every 5 mins to make the device think activity is happening, and therefor, the apps won't prompt for this.

This sounds like something that could be incorporated into ADBTuner.

Yeah i thought adbtuner did this already. I remember when i was using the nbc app with it i would get an unknown error has occured.msg with an ok box to click. Adbtuner clicked it and restarted the stream.

Yeah this did it for me much easier.... of course, this might not work for everyone if they require positive end padding.

10 seconds after and 10 seconds before

The issue with "middleware solution" is that every middleware would need to implement a solution..often with different methodology. If Channels can just launch a new stream when desired...that is a universal solution that works with all sources regardless of underlying technology. Even within the realm of ADBTuner, for instance..what works with Hulu might not work with Sling might not work with Philo might not work with Fubo might not work with etc etc etc. But if Channels can simply launch a new stream rather than share an existing one when/if you want it to...that automagically solves ALL of them in one go. And that also solves Chrome Caputre for Channels, and solves all the other such add-ons that can run into similar issues. As TVE slowly goes away (either through dropping channels or just being of unusable performance), using capture solutions to supplement OTA is going to become more and more important to users and the issue I've suggested would go a long, long ways for making those capture solutions on par with what is currently expected from OTA and TVE.

Yeah that workaround wouldn't work with things like college football where I need to have substantial end padding to account for things like overtime and the like. Having a separate stream is pretty much the only sure-fire way to ensure that everything gets recorded without substantial babysitting and manual intervention. In some cases, I can flip back and forth through manual schedule manipulation between Hulu via ADBTuner and TVE..but the TVE streams on game day are pretty terrible which is largely the point of using ADBTuner to begin with