FreeNAS and hardware encode/decode

Last time I checked FreeNAS didn’t support the hardware acceleration on Intel chips. Is that still the case? Thanks.

Still the same

With the 11.2 release, does FreeNAS now support Intel Quick Sync??? If so, does Channels DVR utilize it? I'm getting mixed answers when googling this....

AFAIK QuickSync is not supported. If you find links that state otherwise then please share them.

https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/33399

Looks like official support is coming in U3, but it seems to be possible now. I have no need for it because my cpu doesn't have integrated graphics but its nice to see it as an option.

Oh man! That would be awesome if it were possible. I'm still moving around FreeNAS right now.....

I'll enable intel quicksync detection on freebsd. As soon as they add /dev/dri/* it should work.

Sounds good. Meantime, I'm trying this out on a box that is using an i5-4590 and 8GB of RAM. Hopefully that should be enough to at least allow 1 transcoding session if I watch tv outside my network

Found out how to install the plugin on FreeNAS 11.2, within this forum. For those also seeking....in a CLI prompt, type in:

iocage fetch -P -n channels-dvr vnet=on dhcp=on bpf=yes devfs_ruleset=4 interfaces=vnet0:bridge0

Guess I spoke too soon...it didn't work :frowning:

Installing plugin packages:

• ftp/curl...
    -security/ca_root_nss…
    -security/sudo…

Fetching artifact...
Exception: URLError:,urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known. occurred, destroyed channels-dvr