GAC Family included with Xfinity TV, but can I get it?

I'm finding numerous sources on the web stating that GAC Family is on Xfinity (Often specified as channel 1620).

On a Xfinity forum I came across, a CSR replied to a customer:

"Yes, we do have GAC. This channel is available only as an Internet Protocol Network meaning customers must have HD service and a compatible X1 TV Box or use the Xfinity Stream App on a compatible third-party device to enjoy this network. This channel is not available for customers using a Legacy style cable system."

When I'm logged into my Xfinity account online, I can see GAC Family listed when I'm click into the online streaming tab as channels 484 (SD) and 1620 (HD), but when I try to view it (away from home), I get a splash screen that states,

" Please connect to your home WiFi network

Due to licensing agreements, some content can only be viewed on your home WiFi."

Does this mean that Channels will or will not be able to get it?

Great American Family (GAF) - as it is called now - is not available to stream on their website so this means you can't get it with TV Everywhere.

However, there is one way to get it in Channels DVR but it requires a subscription to Frndly TV.
If you have a subscription to Frndly TV, you can do this:

Here is where you can check for TVE channels Xfinity (or any provider) supports and is therefore available with channels DVR.
Channels Support - TV Everywhere Availability

I use Frndly TV for Channels and it works great I get 35 out of the 40 channels offered through the app. We usually pick it up for Nov and Dec and then drop it from there. They offer a 7 day trial.

I was hoping that being able to stream it when logged into xfinity would mean that Channels could have an access point.

I get nearly 187 channels with TVE (it would be even more if I could get all the Discovery+ channels I'm supposed to be able to get), but alas - GAF is not among them.

I will consider getting Frndly TV for the holiday season if it's not too costly and is relatively simple to add to Channels, but I'm already paying far too much for cable as it is.

1 Like

I like the seasonal subscription idea, but skimming through the thread on Frndly TV here is not bolstering my confidence in it being trouble-free.

1 Like

Compared to TVE, Frndly TV is much more reliable. Haven't had any issues with it.

I agree with @chDVRuser, Frndly TV has been very stable for me too.

By the way, what is great with the "Frndly TV for Channels" source is that you can subscribe to the cheapest plan of Frndly TV, the one that gives you SD quality, no DVR, and only 1 stream. In Channels DVR, you will still get HD quality and no stream limits, it will be able to record several Frndly TV channels at the same time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good to know. Will definitely have to give it a try.

I've run virtualizations like VMWare, XPMode, and Bluestacks, but have not used Docker.

Is this pretty simple for a first-timer to set up?

Will it continue running when I'm remoting into my work PC?

Can it be run as a service that restarts automatically when the PC (Windows 10) reboots?

I highly recommend the HDHomerun Prime with Comcast cablecard. Currently I have 3 cablecards from Comcast at no extra cost. You can get Great American Family in SD on channel in 63 in my area with a cable card in a Tivo or HDHR Prime.

Also, you could install the Xfinity Stream App on an Apple TV and some other streaming devices just for watching and recording HD channels that you pay for on Xfinity but can't access in HD otherwise. I personally have the xg1v4 Comcast DVR for recording a few channels in HD that I can't access with Tivo or Channels DVR.

Appreciate the suggestion, but I've already got the HDHR Prime and multiple TiVos with cablecards, and GAF is just not available that way in my area (just East of Seattle)..

Check under 100 for it that's where I found it.

It's probably not available in all areas.
I get GFAM in SD on channel 484, but prefer the HD version from Frndly TV.

I looked up Seattle Comcast and the SD channel is 484 and not 63 there. Does 484 SD work on your Tivo or HDHR?

mine is 484 too in Portland OR.

He stated in the OP that he gets it, but cannot stream it when remote.
Xfinity says I get the HD version on channel 1620, but that's their IPTV channel that cannot be recieved by an HDHR Prime or TiVo.

There is non-docker solution described at the link that I posted earlier, which is what I'm using:

This app can also run without Docker using just Python3.

git clone GitHub - matthuisman/frndlytv-for-channels: Frndly TV for Channels
cd frndlytv-for-channels
pip install --no-cache-dir -r requirements.txt
python app.py --PORT 8183 --USERNAME "MY_EMAIL" --PASSWORD "MY_PASSWORD" --IP "72.229.28.185"

The cmdline arguments are the same as the Docker env arguments.

Yes

I'm running Channels DVR and this non-docker Frndly TV for Channels on a Windows PC (originally Windows 10 recently upgraded to 11) and I created a frndly.bat file that I put in the startup folder. Now, whenever the PC reboots, this restarts automatically.

Content of frndly.bat file:

cd C:\Users\mjitk\frndlytv-for-channels
C:\Users\mjitk\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\python app.py --PORT 8183 --USERNAME "(my email address)" --PASSWORD "(my Frndly TV password)"

1 Like

You could also run docker on another device on your lan. Doesn't have to be the same device that runs Channels DVR Server.

I use Synology NAS's and Docker installation on them is as easy as clicking the install button on the Synology Docker package.

One thing I do not like is the black bars around the show ... but Channels does not have a way to zoom.

Are you talking about SD programs on an HD channel?
Windowbox or pillarbox.