GAC Family included with Xfinity TV, but can I get it?

mine is 484 too in Portland OR.

He stated in the OP that he gets it, but cannot stream it when remote.
Xfinity says I get the HD version on channel 1620, but that's their IPTV channel that cannot be recieved by an HDHR Prime or TiVo.

There is non-docker solution described at the link that I posted earlier, which is what I'm using:

This app can also run without Docker using just Python3.

git clone GitHub - matthuisman/frndlytv-for-channels: Frndly TV for Channels
cd frndlytv-for-channels
pip install --no-cache-dir -r requirements.txt
python app.py --PORT 8183 --USERNAME "MY_EMAIL" --PASSWORD "MY_PASSWORD" --IP "72.229.28.185"

The cmdline arguments are the same as the Docker env arguments.

Yes

I'm running Channels DVR and this non-docker Frndly TV for Channels on a Windows PC (originally Windows 10 recently upgraded to 11) and I created a frndly.bat file that I put in the startup folder. Now, whenever the PC reboots, this restarts automatically.

Content of frndly.bat file:

cd C:\Users\mjitk\frndlytv-for-channels
C:\Users\mjitk\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\python app.py --PORT 8183 --USERNAME "(my email address)" --PASSWORD "(my Frndly TV password)"

1 Like

You could also run docker on another device on your lan. Doesn't have to be the same device that runs Channels DVR Server.

I use Synology NAS's and Docker installation on them is as easy as clicking the install button on the Synology Docker package.

One thing I do not like is the black bars around the show ... but Channels does not have a way to zoom.

Are you talking about SD programs on an HD channel?
Windowbox or pillarbox.

SD Channel 484 bars all around the video.... Able to zoom on EMBY and SageTV and hide black bars.

1 Like

Ahh, I prefer the pillarboxing or windowboxing over stretch-o-vision.

More Christmas movies ahhhh ... my Hallmark Channels have been going non-stop.... recording.

Wait... Do we live in the same house? :laughing:

So I get GAF on channel 484, which works on my TiVos and my HDHR Prime. I guess I just didn't notice because the only time I really use standard definition channels is when there's not an HD version of the content available anywhere else.

I'm using a pretty capable HP Z400 for my Channels host, so I'll just plan on putting Docker on it this weekend and seeing how that goes. I guess I'll have to burn the free trial offer for Frndly TV to get account information to test it. Probably wouldn't use it at all if it weren't for it's integration into Channels.

It only works in the native video player of course, but "Tap-to-Zoom" has been a feature of tvOS for a long time. tvOS 16 introduced a toggle in Settings so it can be disabled. I do use it a lot though, especially when involving big action movies and ambilight (synchronized color lighting glow effects behind the TV.) The black bars in those instances tend to interfere with the overall immersion. I don't use Zoom all the times, but being able to invoke it on-the-fly is very useful.

All this to say, I would LOVE to see "Tap-to-Zoom" work in Channels too. I end up watching these letterboxed movies in other players because that's the only way to eliminate the black bars. Yes, I realize it also cuts off content on the sides, but that's a compromise I'm willing to make for these types of movies.

Has this feature been requested here before?

Emby does not cut anything of the sides or top.

Wasn't there some kind of stretch to fit that users were saying didn't work?
Not sure, but think it was Android.

Stretch to fit on FireTV stretched it Horizontally but not vertically. Removes bars from sides not above or below the video. Stretch to fit is different from ZOOM.

Emby

Okay, before I go down the Frndly TV road, if I have Frndly TV logged into by a Docker instance 24x7, would I be able to use it from their app on a device away from home at the same time? Or does that require an upgraded subscription for something like multiple devices?

Also, with HDHR Prime, HDHR Quattro, and Xfinity TVE, my guide is getting cumbersome to navigate. What will it look like to add Frndly TV to the guide? Do all of its channels appear in a cluster?

Ok, well I just did a test. Using Channels at home viewing a Frndly channle on Apple TV… plus logging in through Frndly app on iPhone using my cellular connection (aka, a different network) caused no login or viewing issues. So I am going to say you can have the server recording/view at home and still be able to use the Frndly app away from home.

This sounds like something that Channel Collections were exactly made for. I have 13 sources and several hundred channels. But I have one Channel Collection the combines together about 80 of those channels together.

Thanks for checking on that. It's nice to know that we might be able to use it with and without Channels at the same time using the same login credentials.

If you do go the Frndly route and you have any questions or problems just ask in the Frndly TV for Channels thread.

I don't have anything personally to do with the Frndly TV for Channels docker... that beauty is all @matthuisman. But I do keep a close eye on that thread and try to help people out if they run in to problems or have questions. And there are a lot of other forum regulars who are are extremely helpful on that thread.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.