General questions

Never mentioned recording directly though History

Trial version has all features for the trial term, recording included.

Dbeck,

Do you have an antenna and an HDHomeRun device already installed? If so, Channels DVR is $8 with no strings contract. I think experience is the best teacher. If you don't have those items installed from my experience they are worth it to get up and running. Sooner or later you will cut the cord. Lay the infrastructure and gain experience. I can't image going back to renting boxes from Comcast ever again.

If your asking how to record in Philo, On their guide if you select a program and hold down the select button for a couple of seconds, a windows pops up giving you options. One options a plus sign, This adds the program to your playlist and records all episodes on that show or movie. Again the plus sign is your record button in Philo. There's no option to record only new episodes. It records all. Click on any show image not in the guide will take you to options also. This is the best option it you wan't to skip ads. If you start a program live not in your playlist to record, and go back to the beginning you can't skip ads.

Thanks everyone. I do have an antenna with HDHomeRun Quatro. Channels is installed on a ShieldTV.

Originally I could not figure out how to record from within Philo but you guys solved that for me. I have everything working pretty well other than a wireless FireTV in the kitchen keeps freezing and I assume buffering. My shieldTV is also on wireless and I think that's the problem. I need to figure out how to get a cat5/cat6 to the room where they shieldtv is located. Its going to be really tough as I will probably have to run wire behind the baseboard. The way the house is built there aren't many options.

Do you have coax in house you can use coax for Ethernet. Coax to Ethernet Adapter (x2). Works great.
MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter,
MoCA 2.0 can coexist with Antenna or Cable signals via coax. Does not coexist with Direct TV. Antenna and Cable can not coexist on the same coax since their frequencies overlap.
OTA: 54-806 MHz (lower top-end, actually, nowadays)
Cable: 5-1002 MHz
MoCA (Band D)*: 1125-1675 MHz​

1 Like

Much cheaper DeCA adapters for DirecTV also work well. You just have to make sure there’s no other cable signals on the same coax.

Deca is DirecTV’s hardware solution to implement MOCA. MOCA normally runs in the 850-1500MHz and DECA changes it to run in the 500-850MHz. OTA is in the 470-806Mhz range which interferes with the DECA implementation of MOCA.

That's a good explanation. However, depending on peoples setup, there might not be any signals on the coax that is run through the home. If the Channels DVR server (and router/switch) is located at the demarcation point for all the coax cables, then one could still use the DECA. Since DECA units are so inexpensive and provide good throughput, it could still be a valid option.

We have dish network coax that all runs to a single point in a closet. I know it's a mess. The original plan was to be able to centrally locate the dish boxes with a switch so that one or two boxes could be switched to serve tvs in different areas. I was aware of the Ethernet to coax adapters but due to the frequency conflict I didn't think it would work.

Does the DECA option work with the dish frequencies or is that only a solution for DirectTV?

DeCA is specifically for Direct TV. I'm not sure about the frequencies for dish.
Direct TV uses DeCA, which is in the mid spectrum, 500 - 850 MHz, and other Cable MoCA devices use the high spectrum, 850 - 1500 MHz. It really depends on the devices that you are using. Some of the MoCA devices will use a different spectrum for the signal.

I don't really know, I have cat 5 cables throughout my home so I don't need the adapters. Here are the frequencies Dish uses per the wiki...

"In the LNB they become down converted to 950–2150 MHz, which is the frequency range allocated for the satellite service on the coaxial cable between LNBF and receiver."

I use these and the work great. Are you planning to keep SAT/TV (DIRECTV) "OR" go all in on streaming tv? If so, then what is the concern with using DIRECTV. I would think the cost of DIRECTV would be too much to continue using it with the other options.

No Not me. I dumped DirecTV years ago. dbeck asked earlier in the forum the best way to get CAT 5 to his DVR. I've have used a pair of these for 3 years. I upgraded my adapters from Tivo adapters to These. These are 1gb speed. The Tivo's keep locking up on me and I had to re-cycle power to them at least one a week. Also locked down to only 100 mb for speed. Nobody get the Tivo MoCA adapters, they start to fail on you after about year.

I'm paying a $150 a month for dish and dumping them. I'll be paying about $30 a month for Philo and Channels combined. The $1,440 a year I save can be put to better use.

They're may be about a month long period while I'm transitioning where dish would need to coexist.

If the baseboard in the TV room wasn't so tight against the carpet I could squeeze the CAT 5 under the baseboard and hide it behind the edge of the carpet. But it's tight tight. So it's either remove the baseboard and groove the sheetrock to make a channel, or tuck the cat 5 in any existing space behind the baseboard, to get it to fit or go with something like the coax adapter.

According to that, either MOCA or Deca should work. I'll see if I can reach out to the adapter manufacturer to confirm

I understand what it is and the limitations. This is why I said there can’t be any signals on the line.

Yes, this is exactly how I have it setup. All my cable and OTA signals come into my equipment rack and connect to their associated equipment. Then I have the DeCA injected throughout the home’s coax system, isolated from the incoming cable/OTA signals/frequencies.

Ethernet over powerline works great. I set up my parents with a Tablo DVR using this D-Link Powerline adapter, https://us.dlink.com/en/products/dhp-601av-powerline-av2-1000-gigabit-starter-kit#. No conflict with cable signals like Moca. Can be used with multiple connections.

Ethernet over powerline can be hit or miss depending on your home wiring Moca is more reliable. Moca with a point of entry filter will not interfere with cable signals.

If you have DSL, it can also impact the sync speed - creating noise/errors on the line. There were a few UK specific posts, example below: