General questions

I'm still on the fence about subscribing to Channels DVR and cutting the cord. I've got a few questions still that I'm hoping someone can help answer.

1. I'm on the Philo 7 day trial and thus I don't have a real login and can't test this myself. Will I be able to use the Philo login to log directly into, for example, the History channel app? Philo has the history channel but I can't record from it and I want to be able to watch my shows on the history channel. So I'm wondering if I could log in using my tv provider (in this case Philo) login like I could using my DISH network login?

2. I apparently can't set something to record if its not currently listed on the 2 week channel guide? In other words, we have to wait for it to show on the guide before we can set a show to record? DISH doesn't have that requirement as it has a "seek" option which means it will record on whatever station it finds the show.

3. If I set something to record, like "The good doctor" and the season ends, will channels start automatically recording it again when the season picks up next year? Assuming its on the same network.

Yes you can use Philo for TVE feature. But there are some Channels that you will still have to use Philo's app for viewing and recording. A&E and History Channels are a couple of many that don't have streams. You will need to set your login on Philo to use email address.
If you don't delete your passes, Channels DVR will record new season of show if your setting is set for new episodes only and can be set for any channel if the show moves to another network.

You can create an advanced pass to do that https://community.getchannels.com/c/playground/advanced-passes

YES

Why would you want to watch shows with tons of commercials on the History app when you can record it on Philo and skip commercials?

1 Like

Richard,

Pretty sure I read that that is one of the channels that you can't record because they don't have a live stream

They don’t have a live TVE stream, but they do through Philo and you have an unlimited 30 day dvr.

I just discovered that the history channel is completely missing from channels DVR. It's available on Philo but the channel does not show up in the channels DVR guide

History Channel does not have live TVE stream. A&E also does not have TVE stream.

Tve is watching tv directly though the History app which doesn’t have a live stream so it won’t show up on Channels.

You would watch and Record it through Philo

That was my understanding. Back to my original assertion- you Can't record the history channel correct?

A Philo user posted a list of channels available to Channels DVR TVE here

Using the Philo app on my shieldtv I don't see an option to record Is that because I am on a seven day trial? Does an option to record show up after I pay for a subscription?

Corrected link

Different service

I was able to record on a trial

care to share a hint? :). in other words, what do you click to record something?

Not the app, their website. While the distinction may seem trivial, some networks have features (or higher quality) available in their branded apps that are not available on their websites.

Channels' TV Everywhere support is limited to what is available on a network's website. Just because a feature or stream is available via the app, that does not mean it is available via Channels' TVE integrations.

Why are you telling me this?

The reason I posted the clarification was because earlier you mentioned that it was recording from History's app. I was posting to correct the assumption: Channels' TVE sources record directly from the websites' linear-programming live streams and have nothing to do with the networks' apps.

Also, your posted screenshot does indeed show that Philo's client can record A+E Network networks' channels, but they are recording from the feeds they receive directly from the provider. Channels does not have this level of access, and relies upon a provider's TVE credentials, which (unfortunately) often do not include as many channels as their regular OTT offering.