Ghost transcoding stream?

Current setup: I have Channels-DVR running in a Docker on my Synology DS918+ with a HDHR Prime

Problem... There seems to be a ghost in my network that is streaming transcoded OAN News, but I have rebooted every device that I have connected to Channels-DVR (3 Firesticks and an iPad), and I have stopped and restarted the docker, but it just keeps coming back.

The IP address that Channels-DVR page gives me is just the internal IP from the Docker, I am not certain how to figure out what is causing the transcoding and eating up a lot of unnecessary CPU.

Watching ch616 from 172.17.0.1 (Transcoder Running at 3mbps: 20m33s @ 0.97x (29.50fps)): strength=93% quality=100% symbol=100% rate=3.9Mb/sec

Is there any way that Channels has a device ID of which device is requesting the stream?

My next step might be to blow away the docker and rebuild

I've seen that before. either reboot the server or stream again from the same device that has that ip. It should release eventually.

Please click Help > Submit Diagnostics

Diagnostics sent: a56e65ce-6f76-4aff-bcf8-4c12d5bb50ec

Thank you

jp... the problem is that the IP that channels shows is just the internal IP between the docker and the Synology, not the end-point. I also don't watch OAN, so I don't know what device that would have been coming from

Can you stop/start the docker and see if the transcoding session goes away?

I have stopped/started the docker, did a full network reboot, and restarted all devices... The only time it went away was on the network reboot but then came back automatically. I'm trying to go device by device to see which it might have been, but no luck yet

If that IP is of the NAS itself it must be another piece of software on the NAS?

If you SSH in you can use lsof to figure out which process is behind the connection.

I cheated for now and just turned that channel off in the HDHR lineup and it stopped.

I will take a look at it again later and see if it comes back on another channel... and if I add the channel back in, if it starts transcoding again.

I triedn lsof quickly with SSH but I am not that great in commandline, so i need to focus on what i need with the synology to make that happen.

Aman, This popped back up again... This time it was transcoding a SD channel so I know it wasn't that I left a device on. I downloaded Wireshark and was going to try to learn to trace it down.

Do you have any recommendations about what I should be looking for to find someone listening to the stream or talking to the ChannelsDVR service? Just looking for ideas on filtering, I'm pretty rusty in my deeper network knowledge.

Thank you,

Paul

If you’re trying to track down where it’s coming from I believe there’s a setting in the DVR to log all HTTP requests. That should give you the IP address (at least) of any client trying to connect, I believe.

The problem with the log is that I am running it in a docker, and its showing the IP of the docker interface, not the far end

Are you using -net=host with docker?

I went into the details and Network tab for hte container and says I'm in bridge... Should I try to find a way to change that? (If I remember correctly I would have to rebuild a container (good opportunity to try the TVE version)

We recommend -net=host in our installation instructions. That will give you the actual IP of the client making requests.