Giving up

Love the interface, Love the way recordings are organized, but can’t get it to work correct
Never been able to set recordings to NAS. Dvr settings lost Hardware transcoding. Reinstalled service. Now get this for 2 Hrs Guide data is still downloading. Check back in a few minutes. Willing to pay more for Channels, if it worked as smoothly as the SD DVR

Too bad you cannot make it work for yourself :(. Other than the occasional bug, which the dev team has been consistently quick to address, DVR and apps on all devices have worked very well for us–locally and remotely.

I feared I was going to have to work for WAF. Nope. She loves it!

1 Like

What NAS are you using?

WD my cloud thats not supported. Tried setting the same path I used for Emby, Plex, Chrome browser. Doing a full computer reset, now.

Well, I don’t think you’d need to do a full reset. What’s the path you’re trying to set? It should just be something like E:\Channels just use whatever drive letter Windows has the WDMyCloud mapped to.

I chose z and it keeps getting rejected. I like channels so much that I might just store content to watch quickly on my computer and use the Nas for long time storage.

How is it getting rejected? Is there an error message or anything that’s showing up? I’m guessing you’re following the instructions found here: https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=2676&h=2&lang=en

Richard,

You should be able to:

1. Create a directory on the NAS in which to store Channels DVR content. Let’s call it “channels_dvr”
  2. Tell the NAS to make that directory available to the MS-Windows network as a network share. (I’ve no clue as to how that’s done on your NAS.) (N.B. It would be wise, IMO, to restrict access to that share to the PC that will be hosting the DVR engine.)
  3. Tell your MS-Win PC to use that share and automatically do so on boot. (Sorry, but it’s been a year, and I never was a “Windows Guy,” anyway. Don’t recall how that’s done.)
  4. Tell your MS-Win PC to map a drive letter, let’s use “M:” to that share’s UNC path. (Again: I’m out of practice with MS-Win PCs.) (N.B.: I’d advise against using drive letters X-Z. IIRC, those have historically had specific uses on MS-Win networks.)

At this point you should be able to see and browse, from the MS-Win PC, that file space on the NAS, both via the UNC path (e.g.: \MyNAS\channels_dvr) and via the mapped drive letter (e.g.: “M:”).

Now:

1. Reboot the PC to ensure the file share is automatically mounted and the drive letter mapping remains intact.
  2. Install and configure the Channels DVR, telling it to use the mapped drive letter (e.g.: “M:”) for its storage.

You may have to do some things, settings, regarding ownerships and permissions. (Again: Been too long for me, already, for MS-Win help of that magnitude.)

That’s all I got. I hope it helps. I hope it works for you.

I’m going to close with this, and I’m not trying to be critical: IMO you’re trying to do this in about the worst way possible. I understand why, but it’s still not a good way to go about this.

Thanks I already did the share part, will look into the rest. Might look into getting a shield or upgrade The Nas, looking at the My cloud ex 2 ultra.

I would not recommend a Shield as a DVR server. Can you do it? Yes. I would not.

Thanks, I was thinking of asking that, since I don’t need playback Devices. Looking at a refurbished Ex Ultra 2 4TB at $175 or 8 tb for $249.

Richard

Do you only have Channels DVR installed on the WD MyCloud? For several months, I had DVR installed on PC/Mac with the path for recordings set to a WD MyCloud.

This worked perfectly until I upgraded to a new NAS.

I agree with @jseymour on not using the Shield as a server. Of course, all of the early on problems I encountered with that config may now be fixed (by Nvidia) but I still think it may be a bit hinky.

Maybe that’s it. I use the same file for the Hdhomerun and Plex DVR.

Plex DVR doesn’t play nice with any other solution which use HDHR tuners. You could encounter multiple recording failures on Plex DVR due it’s “selfish” setup. These can/will occur when using tuners for Live or other recording solutions.

Besides that, in the short term interim, do you have either a fairly recent PC or Mac that you could use 24/7 for Channels DVR…while directing recordings to the MyCloud. Then you could test Channels DVR and also determine if commskip and/or remote viewing is of interest. Slightly higher spec’d NAS than WD MyCloud is required for either.

After resetting my computer, my Nas showed up as a second computer. I set the record path to the same place as the hdhomerun dvr and Channels is now recording to my NAS, Yeah. Now I need to update, but the shift key does nothing. I’ll try keep hitting update. Is there a way to add my hdhomerun recordings to Channels?

update waiting to downloading

No way to add previous recordings to Channels. Sorry! :cry:

Let us know about your latest progress.

trying an OTA. recording, getting lots of buffering. Thinking it’s because it’s coming off my nas and my laptop isn’t powerful

Is your PC on Wi-Fi or plugged into the network?

wifi