Glitch on AppleTV 16 using Search

I have noticed this behavior, but in Hulu rather than Channels. I believe this is a tvOS bug.

1 Like

I recently purchased the channels dvr for my Apple TV.
Everything seems to work fine except the search function.
I can type a search and find programs however the Apple TV remote won’t let me access the keyboard search function.
The original search is stuck and won’t clear.
I also don’t have a pop up keyboard on my phone when a keyboard input is needed on channels due.
Any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

@tmm1 I went back into time a bit (pre-iOS 16) installed channels version 2002( 9.11.1748) where I KNEW search functioned properly.

Retried search with that version and it displayed the same faulty search issue. It did not work where I personally knew that it had worked in iOS 15.

Therefore it IS AN iOS 16 bug.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

I’m seeing this issue as well - once I scroll down to the search results, the on-screen keyboard disappears and will not reappear (nor does dictation work) if I scroll back up. This happens on Channels and Nebula since the tvOS 16 upgrade, and did not happen on tvOS 15.

1 Like

This is an Apple bug, and not something Channels can fix.

If this isn’t a case of Channels doing something that’s incompatible with tvOS 16, could the Channels team open a ticket with Apple regarding this? Though I guess there is a chance this is already a known issue on their end - if so, would hope there’s a fix in tvOS 16.1…

I've been out for a few weeks (hurricane issues) but I just became aware that SEARCH is re-enabled! Yea!

It seems tvOS 16.1 (released today) fixes the issue of search not letting you enter another keyword after scrolling down.

1 Like

Perhaps, but I'm still running tvOS 16.0 and the SEARCH is working
-- very odd to say the least so something else is in play.

I'll upgrade it to 16.1 later tonight

AppleTV 4K New with tvOS 16.0 (as well as all the channel's current updated betas) - SEARCH is working

SEARCH is NOT working with 16.1 on the older AppleTV 4K
SEARCH is NOT working with 16.1 on the original AppleTV 4

So it i no longer believe it to be an apple os issue

(Since 16.0 its working on the ATV4K new, I'll wait to upgrade that until this weirdness goes away)

Have you tried the release version? I’ve been using that - only generally use betas if there’s a feature I’m interested in. Just installed the beta, and it seems to be broken there just as you report. It looks like the betas worked around the original issue for 16.0 in a way that breaks on 16.1, and 16.1 fixes the underlying issue on the OS end.

Try this:

This fixes the issue on 16.1 compared to the previous beta on my 2nd gen Apple TV 4K

1 Like

Bumping this thread after experiencing this problem with my brand-new Apple TV 4K. After entering my first search term, I cannot for the life of me get the cursor back up into the text box to enter a new search term. As far as I know everything (tvOS, Channels client) are the latest and greatest. I am not using any betas.

We’re still considering this a tvOS bug as the YouTube app has the same focusing issues and I’ve seen it in other apps.

We’re sorry and agree, it’s very frustrating.

1 Like

Hmm, thankfully I have not experienced this bug, despite very many search attempts in many apps. Although I use "Grid" for Keyboard Layout, in AppleTV Settings → General.
("Automatic" just uses the "Linear" layout, which I personally cannot abide.)
Hopefully Apple can fix this issue once and for all!

Just an FYI, with today's tvOS 16.4 release it looks like this bug has been fixed.

5 Likes

SWEET! I'll check it out. Thanks for reporting!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.