Group Recordings by Show

Is there a way to Group Recordings by Show?

Where?

Sorry I didn't explain it very well. On the Navigation Menu when you Select "Recordings" it list all the recordings individually. I was wondering if it could group the recordings by show and after you select the show it lists all the recordings for that particular show.

Is this in a client app? The DVR web UI?

Sorry, on my Apple TV Channels DVR app

Recordings are all grouped by show already. You're browsing recordings in a view designed to list them in the order they were recorded.

Use the Library section and you can see everything grouped by show as well as presented in a manner to help you find things faster.

In addition, you can turn on a more enhanced library experience that you can learn about here:

Thanks for the reply, yes the Library selection is better. I'm new to Channels DVR and had been using the Android app initially and just started using it on my Apple TV. It seems the "Recent" selection on the Android app is is the same as the Library" selection on the Apple TV app. It's not a big deal, but one thing I liked on the Android app is when you select a show in "Recent" it shows all the additionally recorded episodes at the bottom. On the Apple TV app you have to go an extra step and select "explore show" to see the additionally recorded episodes. Like I said I'm new to Channels DVR and my first impressions are you guys have a great service and support!

Yep. Things changed a lot in 4.0 on the Apple TV a few weeks ago.

That's if you select an episode from Up Next. Those are episodes. Choose a show in the next section below, Recently Recorded, and you'll see what you expect.

Ahh, very nice...is there a way to move the "Recently Recorded" section to the top of the Library?

Sections can’t be ordered.

While somewhat on the topic, will episodes ever look more linear and show the actual season and episode number. Coming from tivo, it just seems much nicer vertically organized and explained than the big icons and lots of scrolling with very little info until one selects an episode. Giving me just the episode number doesn't really help too much, especially when syndicated shows bounce around so much.

Would like to see more episodes on screen than the show's avatar or icon taking up about a thrid of it. Maybe have a view toggle that can go from a more compact view to your current one.

Came here to say the same. I’m looking for a tivo-like grouping in the Recorded section.

I would also like to see this improvement. Think of it as adding show folders to the recordings tab. New shows get added to their folder if there is more than 1 episode of that show and the folder gets moved to the top of the list. Clicking on the folder opens a list of episodes for that show.

@klinquist, @truckie36, You can do this yourself now with Library Collections:

I created a quick example one using a SmartRule to say "Watched IS False"...

... and then set the sort order to "Date Added" / "Forward".

The program with the latest update is now first, and so on and so forth until it goes through everything. Took me longer to type these words than to set it up.

The only thing is that Channels cannot currently mix Movies and TV together, so you'll have separate collections for each. Maybe in the future it can be merged.

:thinking: why make this collection when the TV section already has a Recently Updated row that does the same thing?

Or you could go into the Client Settings on the server, look under General > Manage Navigation and play around with the various ways to navigate through your library.

I didn't care for the old Library view, so I turned that off in favor of the TV Shows and Movies tabs. And I promoted Schedule to the main section because I check that quite often and it's buried under the Settings tab by default.

I also created several Channel Collections for the Guide and arranged them in the order I prefer.

It just goes to show there are countless tweaks and settings to play around with until you find out what works best for you. :beers:

Try turning on Enhanced Browsing for a better surfacing of shows and movies in those sections for larger libraries.

:woozy_face: Heh, I wasn't even thinking about that! I think this just proves there are plenty of ways to do almost anything you want!

1 Like

Users that came here after decades of using Replaytv and/or TiVo may prefer the simple text column layout of the Recordings tab. Adding folders cleans up the Recordings tab if you have a ton of recordings. Having the Recordings and Library tabs gives everyone the choice of their preferred layout.

1 Like

I want to get the folder style in there this year. I know you TiVo stans need it.

Ok I said it, now you can hold me to it.

4 Likes