Guide Data Incorrect on Virtual Channels

For the last 3 days my guide data has been incorrect for my Virtual Channels (episodes don't match, and even the size of the time blocks allocated has often been wrong). Running latest stable on Apple TV 4K. Rebooting sorts it out, but obviously not an ideal solution. Diagnostics submitted.

EDIT: Seems to be OK on my FireSticks -- only an issue on my Apple TV 4K.

Here's a photo of what I'm talking about. The most obvious thing is that the time blocks for various shows are out of whack. In addition, the guide data is often incorrect as far as what show is playing currently. A reboot sorts it:

So far, this seems to be an Apple TV issue only. I haven't seen it on my other devices.

Could you give a photo of the Apple TV and a photo from the FireStick at the same time to give me a better idea of how it's wrong?

That is very odd that "The Good Wife" is shoved in there...

What do you mean by this? For a given block on the guide, if you hit play on it, does it play the thing that was on it?

And, there's an episode of Poldark on 10012 that's even more jammed into maybe a 10 minute block, when the actual episode is probably 50-60 minutes.

Not always. At times, selecting that virtual channel will result in some other episode playing rather than the one indicated as currently playing in the guide.

I'll get additional photos, and submit diagnostics, next time it happens.

@eric So here's another example:

I was watching Hacks on a virtual channel, and was expecting another episode of Hacks to play right after based on what I had seen in the guide. However, Crashing starts playing after Hacks is done. I go to the guide, and it shows Hacks should be playing:

So, I start that virtual channel playing again, but it's still Crashing, not Hacks:

After I take those first two photos, I submit diagnostics, and by the time I get back to the guide -- it seems to have corrected itself. Also, the schedule has changed -- note Curb Your Enthusiasm is gone. In fact, every virtual channel in the photo (all 10000 series numbers) appears to have changed its schedule:

Thanks for this detail. It's helpful. I'll have to mull this over more to figure out what's going wrong...

Do you know when you hit "Play" if you were on the channel numbers box or the box that said Hacks? Did you pop up the dialog box before you hit play for the episode? Did it say Hacks?

I believe I do it the same way every time, which is to be on the episode that the guide says is currently playing and then press the "OK/Select" button on my remote, and the episode starts playing "in progress" (when it's working correctly, of course). The thin purple line under the episode is typically correct in terms of how far into the episode it starts to play, percentage-wise.

I've gone for long periods with the guide data being fine, and then this problem crops up "for a while" and then settles down. I'm throwing darts at the wall here -- but I wonder if these issues crop-up after making changes (adding or deleting shows from a virtual channel). I tend run these channels for months at times with no changes, and then I get in the mood to switch things up.

EDIT: And, I did add/delete some shows from some of my virtual channels earlier this week. Maybe unrelated, but just wanted to let you know.

Thank you for trying to come up with ideas for what was going on here. Your ideas pointed me in a good direction.

This Testflight beta should resolve your issues. Please let us know if it does.

I have an additional fix that I plan on working on to give extra protection, but hopefully you'll see things clear up with this next build.

Thanks! I'll give this a shot tomorrow, once I figure out the process for installing a Testflight beta. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to say you can't do that from OliveTin for Channels yet dude!

1 Like

Seems good so far -- and I've had it running since yesterday morning. I'll let you know if that changes.

1 Like

I wanted to chime in and say this seems to have fixed this problem for me too which has been happening for a while. Before, I had to force close and re-open the app everyday and now, for the last few days, everything has stayed working as it should. I updated to the latest beta, fyi.

Thank you SO MUCH for fixing this!!!!!
Scott

2 Likes