Guide data not affected by time zone?

I have a NUC running OpenMediaVault (aka OMV) with Channels DVR in a docker container. All is well, no complaints, running like a champ. My timezone is America/Chicago on both the server and the container, and shows up that way on Channels DVR as well.

But I'm packing up the NUC to send to my brother on the West Coast for a couple weeks (America/Los_Angeles). This is a temporary situation, so I can record some content while I'm unable to use the internet locally (i.e. I won't have broadband or an ISP) for a while due to moving. I'll be managing everything under my accounts using ZeroTier and Wi-Fi hotspots.

I've set the TZ to America/Los_Angeles on both the OMV level (ie, Debian eventually) and for the container. Both the server and Channels DVR show PST as the time zone, as expected.

But the guide data looks as though it hasn't changed. It still shows TCMs Noir Alley, for example, as starting at 11 pm Saturday. That's expected for the Chicago timezone (1 hr before EST). But why is it not showing 9 pm?

I read this comment in another thread
@tmm1 says "The timezone does not affect guide data."

If that's the case, then I shouldn't expect a change to the guide data? Why not? Surely not everyone using Channels DVR is seeing Central time schedules, right?

Thanks!
Mark M. (aka Confused in Chicago)

1 Like

The guide data is stored in UTC and depends on the zip code used to fetch it.

Ah! Thank you!

Where then do I change the Zip code for YTTV source?

Find your source in your Channels DVR Server web admin settings. Delete the lineup. Add a lineup by entering your zip code.

Thanks, but there is no place to enter a zip code for YTTV source.

I think I'll have to change the zip code on my YTTV account itself. There are lots of caveats about doing that (it's called changing your home area in YTTV terms). I think I'll try not changing it and test it out. Theoretically I'll have YTTV access away from home for up to 90 days (YTTV knows where the device is located and compares it to the account zip code). The guide should continue to reflect CST, but whether the actual feed corresponds to the guide isn't known (to me).

If I have to juggle the times for the few recordings I'll want, fine. Otherwise I either change the home area or buy my brother a YTTV sub month to month.

The guide doesn't change for TVE stations. You get either EST or PST versions when you scan.

You're saying the zip code resolves to either EST or PST?

I'm clearly getting CST guide data. See 'Turning Point' in attached image; this is Noir Alley, broadcast at 12 midnight EST Saturday (properly midnight Sunday but that's they way they advertise it) but in the guide 1 hour earlier = CST. Maybe YTTV is treated differently than other sources?

2 Likes

Zip code only matters for HDHomeRun.

Everyone gets the exact same TCM feed over TVE regardless of their location.

1 Like

Well, that's interesting to hear. So when it comes to TVE, Zip code is ignored and does not resolve to EST or PST. When it comes to HDHomeRun (OTA in my case), then it's going to be either EST or PST.

Right?

Interesting that TVE would resolve to effectively CST for everyone.

1 Like

Guide data is based on the video content you're receiving.

With HDHR/OTA, that depends on your location and antenna. When setting it up you enter your zip code and it fetches guide data for the stations in that area.

With TVE, the streams come from websites like hgtv.com and generally you always get the EST stream but it depends on each website.

Okay, well I'll refer to this thread in the future. Unless there's some other place where this is documented?

Thanks!