Guide Update restarts canceled recording

Latest version of server and client. Client is a Shield.

If I stop recording a program from the Shield (I don't want it to finish recording) it does stop recording the show. However, if a guide update kicks off, the show will start recording again.

With Pluto updating every 3 or so hours, this issue pops up too often. Can you make canceling a recording more permanent and prevent staring the record function on a guide update?

1 Like

I have noticed this as well. I think it has been doing this for awhile and not limited to most recent server releases. Linux 2022.10.03.2116 does this and some before that.

Yeah, it's been present over a year. I posted about it some time ago. I've upped my DVR usage and noticed it over the past few weeks. Edge case for sure, but still.

Are these recordings from passes?
If so, that behavior is to be expected and I've also experienced it.
By cancelling the recording early, Channels doesn't mark it as recorded and tries again.
Just like marking a scheduled recording to skip. it only skips that airing.

If you manually selected the airing to record, it shouldn't be doing that.

But it won’t just skip that airing. For example if you cancel an in progress baseball pass recording because it’s a blow out in the 3rd inning and it’s live in the 5th inning, a guide data download occurs in the 6th the pass recording will fire back up a start recording again from the 6th. So even though that game was”canceled” the guide fetch overrides the cancellation.

I noticed something like this the other day where I deleted the same show like 4 times. But haven't really paid that much attention to it.

The devs will have to answer, but I know if you have a pass and something hasn't been recorded (even because you cancelled the recording-in-progress) and it's still airing, Channels does it's best to honor your requested pass and will attempt to still record it. Cancelling an in-progress recording doesn't mark it as recorded, so I'm sure in your case with Sports/Live events still airing when the guide update happens needs to be looked into.

You could mark it as recorded if that feature existed in the UI so Channels will quit trying to record it (long outstanding request of mine).

The behavior of canceling an in-progress recording should mimic marking a to-be-recorded show as "skip".

With the next build the programs db will remember items which were skipped and not try to record them later.

Recordings which are cancelled while in-progress will also be marked as skipped.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.