Greetings. I am at a hardware and software crossroads and need help to reconfigure my entire paradigm. Currently all movie and music streaming is done via iTunes to various iDevices and Apple TVs from my primary desktop, a Mac mini (Late 2012) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM. The TV streaming is done via an HDHomeRun Quattro and Channels.app on AppleTVs and iPhones. The main problem is my mini is located where it is basically impossible to wire directly to my local network. I need something I can use as a wired option elsewhere in the house.
- Have a wired/centralized hub that can easily run and store my Channels DVR server and associated media well into the future.
- Seek alternative recommendations on whether I should replace using iTunes for my other current home media streaming. Is there a BETTER/EASIER option (it works fine for us as is). I'm not familiar with good alternatives, and can get lost down rabbit holes to indecision.
- Perhaps setup a Dropbox-like cloud storage device for various remote random file storage/access?
Current options that I'm aware of:
- Replace my current Mac mini as my main computer and move it to where I can wire it directly to the network and use it as more of a media/file server.
- Purchase a Synology NAS device to connect directly to the local network. Currently considering DS218+, DS718+, DS918+, DS1019+ depending on which direction is best. I'm new to the real capabilities of NAS devices, so am open to recommendations for anything they can do.
- Other suggestions (I don't mind spending a bit to get a nice trouble-free/flexible setup)?
*I currently have plenty of external storage for BULK file storage, so I'm primarily looking for more of a nice/simple media hub option that can also store some files.