Hardware Update - Four Years - Updated NUC Config

Earlier this year I did a rebuild on my channels dvr hardware. The primary work was expanding the hard drive storage. Due to parts shortages, I went with an internal ssd for OS / external HD for storage.

My original setup was described here:

Best Economy Setup NAS vs NUC? - Playground / Hardware - Channels Community (getchannels.com)

My new additions were:
Amazon.com: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS500G2B0A : Electronics

Amazon.com: WD 4TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive HDD, USB 3.0, Compatible with PC, Mac, PS4 & Xbox - WDBWLG0040HBK-NESN : Electronics

Amazon.com: SABRENT 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-Free External Hard Drive Enclosure [Optimized for SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Black (EC-UASP) : Everything Else

I have even added the HDhomerun 4K Flex to my setup, upgraded my primary apple tv to the 2nd gen 4k and it just works. So yes the answer is the NUC works well over the long run.

Finally I want to say that this setup would not run as well, if channels wasn't such a great product. I really appreciate all the hard work that goes in the dvr and apps.

Thank you,

Stephen

5 Likes

I rebuilt my old Brix server last year in a similar way. I was able to get red drives. Will see how they hold up. It does a flawless job of hosting my Channels/Plex/Home Assistant servers with no issues. Would like to eventually end up with one of those NAS systems but this is what I have and it works.

1 Like