Harmony Remotes - Going out of business?

Sure but isn’t the real value in the universal search and using it without going to an input?

Without third party app support in Siri search, it’s never been useful to me.

I can use my phone for all that when I need it. It’s one tap away in Control Center.

Have at it, guys - today only!

Woot one-day on Harmony remotes

Thanks! I picked up 3.

I guess they only had 3 in stock (joke), they are already sold out.

I have 5 Harmony remotes. 2 companion and 3 smart home. I have used them for years with my home automation system and they always work flawlessly. I also use Siri Shortcuts on my Apple Watch and iPhone to switch channels on the Channels App. I hope they continue support them or at least allow local control if discontinued. Very few really good alternatives on the market and it would suck to switch to something different.

Damn. I have been looking for one more companion remote if I could find a good deal. But, too late, sold out.

Hopefully they will continue to support the devices. I am sure at some point there will be no new software updates but maybe the exisiting software will be valid for a long while yet.

as an alternative/supplement to Harmony remotes

the Harmony android app is great very flexible

i will use it over my elite remote at times because of the keyboard built into the system. its worth having an inexpensive phone or android tablet around for your home av set up

I dont have any apple devices to test but have heard that they work well also

Agreed - the ios app is equally useful, but it would be a stretch, even for me, to go to this "full time"

You also need the hub working, too. (Unless I missed something)

Is the SofaBaton an activity-based remote like the Harmonys?

Yes and no. You can combine/override buttons on one device's remote with commands from another.

Can you give me an example? I'm trying to picture how that would work.

For example, I have my main device set as an Nvidia Shield. But I have the volume/mute buttons for the Shield mapped to my sound bar. I also have overridden the input button to send my TV's input code.

It's similar to Harmony's activities, but instead of the base concept being an activity (Watch TV, Listen to music), the base concept is just as a device (TV remote, receiver remote), with the ability to change out one device's buttons for the action of a different remote's. You can also combine multiple keypresses into a single macro, and assign that to a button.

So similar to Harmony. But slightly different paradigm; more straightforward, less abstract.

Okay, so I think it's similar to the below remote,

I use that remote to control an Apple TV4K, an Insignia(BestBuy) 24" display and a Logitech computer audio system at my desk.

I'm not sure how well the SofaBaton would manage with 4 different streaming devices, a display that also has streaming apps, an Oppo disc player, and a Denon AVR. Might be too many devices for a remapping style of remote. But for the price it might be worthwhile to check out if Logitech really does dump Harmony and my current 950 w/Hub fails.

Thanks!

BTW, saw the below post at another forum that appears to indicate Logitech has submitted a new model to the FCC, so maybe there is hope Harmony will hang around a bit longer.

I have the one for all and didn’t like it. Not enough buttons and the buttons require hard pushes.

I like the harmony home remote control. The one with no LCD.

Works good.

1 Like

More smoke here - this seems more definitive though. :frowning:

I'll pick up a sofabaton in protest.

We need an 8bitdo for remote controls.

1 Like

i still have a old 600 model, thing glitches out and resets it self if u bang it even a little bit.

That would be awesome. I’d love to see a company like that resurrect some old ergonomic favorites. Like the original TiVo peanut!

Maybe time to sell my harmony for some profit. :wink: lol